Logix5 or Logix500

mxz71

I have a question that if answered it will save me a little time.. I am curious if you can backpeddle Logix500 to connect to a plc5 or do I have to actually have to locate Logix5 in order to program. I know Plc2 can only be run with the pre windows98 software.

I am soon going to be connecting to a plc5 but, all I have installed at the time is Logix500.

Probably a dumb question because AB cant make money if you can use 1 software program in multiple apps

You are correct, you will need RSLogix5 to program the PLC/5 line of processors.....All the money we could have saved if the software were "backpedal" enabled!

Greg

mxz71 said:
Probably a dumb question because AB cant make money if you can use 1 software program in multiple apps

They must be pretty stupid then, since all of the new Logix processors (FlexLogix, CompactLogix, SoftLogix, ControlLogix) all use RSLogix 5000 for programming.

The SLC and PLC are different product lines, with different capabilites and architecture. That is why you need different software.

and yet there is more ...

and don't forget the communications cable ... how do you plan to connect to the PLC-5 for programming purposes? ... maybe your SLC gear will work ... but ... maybe it won't ... so what type of communications hardware do you already have available? ... and what model PLC-5 will you be programming? ... (example: PLC-5/20, PLC-5/25, etc.) ... different models can use different communication hardware ...

At first it seems silly to have all these different packages and it superficailly looks like they are trying to capitalize on software sales.

However, as Ron pointed out, there are major differences between the PLC/5 and the SLC500. Not only is the instruction set different, IO addressing is very different (even though the addresses look similar, the image tables and configuraion is very different), PLC5 support for multiple MCPs, and PLC5 support of ST and SFC programming in addition to just ladder, just to mention a few of the differences. I suppose they could have made an integrated package, but it would have been a far more complex program, and it would have meant a more expensive software package for those who wanted to program only the SLC500 platform.

At least they didn't decide to roll out a package for the Micrologix processors as they are similar enough to the SLC500. The sole difference is a few instrucitons, but otherwise the program and IO image tables are configured the same way.

The CLX is so different from all of them that a new package is the logical way to go there.

Last edited:
I did find a copy of Logix5 and got online with a PCMK KT card. I had no problems with that BUT, I was changing from an RIO Display to a DH+ Panelview Plus 1000, We had orderd the display complete with Communication Module and LUCKY me the com module on the PV Plus was BAD out of the box. Luckily we stock that Item so it wasn't too much of a concern but now I have to send the other one back for a replacement. But all in all it went well for my first time on a PLC5/20.