Machines designed to run at 50hz but are run at 60hz

curtisy

I have a machine designed for 380VAC 50hz and I am suppling 460VAC 60hz, I understand the logic with running motors designed for 50hz.

But my question is, what about the rest of the components (internal tranformers wired for 400VAC 50/60hz or VFD that needs 400VAC 50/60hz) how will the 460VAC react to these components??

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

curtisy

Check with the manufacturer, they may have successfully installed this elsewhere.
Other than that, you will have to check every component. Some manufacturers design their motors to run at multi voltages and multi frequencies. Other components will not. As for the VSDs, I wouldn't run them at 460V. I regularly run 400V VSDs at 415V (Australian standard 3 phase voltage), but 460V is stretching it too far. You may need some strategically placed step down transformers, or possibly replace some VSDs and power supplies all together.

Many Transformers rated for 50 hertz can be run at 60 with minimum problems. Relay coils these days are also usually 50/60 hertz rated.

Most VFD's I have seen are rated 400 and can run 380 to 480 line input. You need to make sure the INPUTS are capable of the voltage or you need to get a 460 to 380 transformer in place.

I have converted several systems that were originally 380v 50 hz but you have to examine EACH PART INDIVICUALLY and make the changes per component setup to 480v 60hz or replace the part.

If you have any 380v 50 hz motor on a VFD, you can of course keep it on a drive.

What we did on looms that ran on 380 was to use the motors as is and install a small transformer setup for the control voltages. We did this on 100 machines and had no problems. We did the same on machines that ran on 550. The motors had a shorter life and were rewound to 460 as they failed.