What RSLinx do I need

russrmartin

My application goes something like this. Standalone PLC5 with a PV+700 terminal as an operator interface. The PV+ is connected to ethernet. On a computer in the area, I am setting up a process SCADA node computer running iFIX 3.5. I have RSLinx Gateway installed on the SCADA computer. When I created my OPC topic, I can communicate with the PV+, but it is an unrecognized device. Does anyone exactly know what I need to do to make this device recognizable. When I developed the PV+ application, I used RSLinx for RSView that was already installed on a laptop. I have looked around for some version of this, but found nothing. Thanks in advance.

Russ

I am assuming you are trying to the RSLinx Classic to "see" the PV+. If it can see the PV+, but not recognise it then it is most likely that the eds file for the exact version of the PV+ is not registered on your PC.

Next question, why do you want RSLinx Classic (which is the same thing as RSLinx for RSView btw) to connect to the PV+? The only thing you want another PC to do to a PV+ is to download an application to it, and for that you must use the next generation RSLinx Enterprise. Just a little confused here.

On Ethernet both RSLinx Classic and RSLinx Enterprise will happily co-exist, but they are two separate generations of software each with a distinct application space. Over time RSLinx Enterprise which supports the Factory Talk functionality will become the prime driver, but during this transition period, both versions are still in use.

Progress, but not there yet

I installed RSLinx Enterprize, and can now recognize the PV+. What my end goal here is to extract data points from the PV+ internal database and store them to network database. My problem now is that my Linx topic shows the PV+ when I break down the topic configuration in Linx, but in iFIX, when I browse my server, I cannot get an online connection to the PV. I can see the item ID, but when I open it up, I only an offline path. Is what I want to do even possible? I guess if it is not then I will end up having to put an ethernet module in the PLC5 that the PV talks to, but I wanted to use the PV as a bridge.

I just made some adjustments to my Linx topic configuration and now I have the online path in iFIX. However, when I try to expand the online section to look at the tags nothing happens.

Ok, I am getting discouraged. I took a closer look at the topic config in RSLinx. Specifically under the data collection tab, I see nothing to configure this to pull data from a PV+. Therefore, I am thinking that this is not possible. Can anyone confirm this?

Last edited:
OK now I get it. What you want can be done, but the other way around. I think there is no way for an external RSLinx to "browse" data out of the PV+, because it does not have a built-in OPC Server like RSView32 does.

But you may well be able to use the PV+ DataLogging feature. This will create a file that can be either located on the PV+'s own flash memory, or more usefully to you, a mapped network drive.

Is that what you want?

Last edited:
I will look into possible alternatives. The PV+ was installed as a HMI, but now they would like to start collecting data. This was a standalone PLC5, and if I can avoid the cost of an ethernet module for it, I'd like to. Your suggestion sounds promising. I'll probably have more questions, as I've never used the datalogging feature, but hopefully I can get what I want out of it. Thanks again.

Russ

I'd be careful about using any PV+ as a data logger; in my view the logging feature is only in there to support the PV+ trends as opposed to creating data logs for archive/analysis etc. etc.

It does log data, as Philip describes, but you need to run a conversion utility to turn the files into any really friendly format. This means extra work on your PC which I bet you won't have factored in as part of the project! Everyone I've talked to who tried using the PV+ for serious data logging ended up having to go down a different route and wasted effort, time and money in the process. They're great little HMI's but not replacements for "real" data logging software.

If you want an easy way to get data out of a PLC5 use RSSql, any version of RSLinx except Lite and a database of your choosing; RSSql turns what could be hours or VB/SQL into 10 minutes of click-and-configure.

It does log data, as Philip describes, but you need to run a conversion utility to turn the files into any really friendly format.

NOP is right, but what Russ is trying to do is use the PV+ as a bridge, between the Ethernet port and the other port (presumably DH+) to a PLC5, ie he does not have a direct path from the PC he wants to log data on and the PLC5.

It would ideal if the PV+ had a builtin OPC Server, or supported a form of "Pass-Thru", or routing between it's ports, but it does not. In fact we have become so used to the latest generation of Rockwell kit offering transparent comms bridging between ports that it possibly comes as surprise when we run into one that does not.

PhilipW is exactly right. The dilemna is not having a path to the PLC5, and I was hoping that I could use the PV to do this. It appears as though I may not, though. I will still look into the datalogging a little bit and see if there is a way to make it work. Thanks for all the help guys.

Russ