EtherNet I/P messaging using SoftLogix

iknowsomeplc

I understand that SoftLogix ver 11 supports Ethernet/IP messaging using the laptop's Network Interface Card.I was trying to rig up a test where one SoftLogix5860 controller in one laptop trying to send CIP message to another SoftLogix5860 controller on another laptop , both laptops being connected to the local LAN. However messaging was not successful. I tried by unchecking the 'Accept UDP messages on Ethernet port' checkbox in RSLinx on both machines.. Still messaging is not performed .. Just wondering that I am doing some mistake here.. Anybody has any clues ???

I am not sure you can do that, you may need a PLC-5 in there somewhere, the code is executed via a new RSLogix 5000 routine type that is called with a JXR instruction.

There are three configurations of SoftLogix5800: SoftLogix5810, SoftLogix 5830, and SoftLogix5860. All three use the same Logix control engine and feature the same chassis-monitoring tool as the user interface for creating, configuring and monitoring system controllers and communication cards.

Roger

Roger,

Both Stations have unique IP addresses and I am able to ping too. Also the JXR instructions are used calling DLL external routines, I think.

You've got me stumped, too. I'm running RSLogix 5000 version 11.11 and 1786-L60 firmware 11.23.

I set up a 1786-L60 controller to send an SLC Typed Read MSG to a SLC-5/05, and that worked fine.

I set up the same controller to send a CIP Data Table Read to another 1786-L60 controller.... and it didn't work.

I originally got an "16#0008 Unsupported Service" error. I checked and found my target controller was running RSLinx 2.30.00.

I upgraded to RSLinx 2.40.01, and now I get "16#0002 Resource Unavailable".

With the "EtherNet/IP" module in Slot 2 of the virtual backplane, the Path variable was: 1, 2, 2, 192.168.1.101, 1, 1

The same message works correctly when I direct it toward a 1756-L1 controller. The only thing different is the IP address; the controller is in Slot 1 in both the software and hardware instances, and the tag name is the same.

So maybe the SoftLogix 5800 is only meant to send messages via EtherNet/IP, not receive them ?

I tried to send a MSG from a 1756-L1 controller to the SoftLogix via a 1756-ENET/B module.

That time I got an error with error code 16#0001 and extended error code 16#0000_0312, "Connection Error".

I guess it's time to defer to the Tech Support guys; hopefully they'll know if SoftLogix 5800 is meant to receive CIP messages or not.