Drawing Packages

AndEdtec

We all have to do some schematics sometime or another, just wondering what everyone uses, I'm looking for a new one but want to make sure I get a good one.

Any opinions would be great.

Andy

We use AutoCad Lite in conjunction with Via development software. The Via stuff adds toolbars to the autocad package and includes blocks from title pages to fuses to rungs to flow switches to generic I/O. You can buy add on blocks of MFR specific equipment.

It's pretty neat and all we need for the flat line dwgs. And best of all, it's autocad, so you're compatible with most others in the world.

Also, AutoCad lite is much much more reasonably priced than the full blown AutoCad package--less than $500.

I also use VIA WD and in my opinion it the best. Prior to that I used Promis-e from ECT and I hated it. Automation Direct sells a schematic software package by VIA called VIADirect UltraLITE I believe it sells for $495.00 and will run on AutoCAD LT.

The company that I currently work for gave up on RSWire after wrestling with it for years. I've never used it myself, but now I am involved with updating some of the old schematics. This process is more tedious than it sounds because no one here is familiar enough with AutoCAD to know how to manipulate the blocks that were created in RSWire. I've been exploding the blocks, which OBLITERATES the text. I then have to go through and clean up the mess.

I've been told by one of my power-user contacts that I ought to be able to manipulate the blocks without exploding them. When I've got some time I'm going to buy him a few beers and pick his brain.

Tom Jenkins said:
I've been using this package for years - very good features, economical, and good AutoCAD import export.
http://www.upperspace.com/Default.asp?

The program that Tom uses is extremely user-friendly compared to AutoCAD. When I first started using AutoCAD, I used DesignCAD as a temporary crutch to do many of the things that aren't so intuitive in AutoCAD.

You can convert drawings from one format to the other, but beware of the following:

1) Drawings that contain many layers in AutoCAD may not import properly into DesignCAD. I believe this has to do with which layers are locked/visible/frozen/etc.

2) The two programs don't handle fonts the same. You'll notice that there is a conversion done when you import/export drawings. This can affect the size of your text blocks.

Having used both DesignCAD and AutoCAD, I'd rather be using DesignCAD. AutoCAD 2000 still feels like a clunky old DOS program. Some of the operations I like to do routinely require more keystrokes and mental involvement than they do in DesignCAD.

FYI: Many of our mechanical guys dislike AutoCAD, so they use a program called Expert CAD.

AK

Last edited:
Rick Densing said:
Do you need to manipulate the text or the blocks? Attedit will let you change the text.

Mostly just the text.

I took my buddy to the Outback Steakhouse earlier this week and quizzed him. He showed me the attedit command, and how to use it... Very Nice.

AK

AutoCad challenged

I am seriously impaired when it comes to autocad, I done the demo of VIA WD with AutoCad and it looks nice just not enough time to get into the swing of AUTOCAD (grrr). Has anyone tried the STAND ALONE VIA WD package and if so how does it rate on the FRIENDLY side. I currently sketch and hand off to a draftsman but would like to handle these things in one step rather than two. Just think Bill of Materials, Panel Layout, Point to Point wiring, PLC auto wiring, what a CONCEPT sure would like a DEMO , HOW ABOUT IT VIA a STAND ALONE DEMO..

All you have to do is call or go to their site and they will send you the Demo CD which has both versions on it, I got mine yesterday. The stand alone is over $3000 US but if all you do is electrical then it is a good way to go.
http://www.viadevelopment.com/downloads/demos.htm
Actually its kind of funny, I was working with the stand alone version when I saw this thread come up again.

Another program you mant want to look at is http://www.automationstudios.com

Its almost half the price of stand alone WD and has an abundance of features.

Last edited: