Password ???

geniusintraining

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
This was posted by minerwak

under topic: RSLogix 500 Need help for 15 car parking space code or ladder logic

password finding
dear sir i want to change some rung but due to password i am not able to do please help me for finding password or how to upload that program of rung.

thanks

minerwak

I have not had the pleasure of being lockout of a program, is there away around it?

Ok firstly, what plc?

Then, what software ?

Then, why? As in, why don't you already have the password and why do you need it (which brings up the ultimate question, are you entitled to mess with the software?)

I use passwords to prevent unauthorized modifications by inept programmers. I provide the password to the head of the department with instructions to provide it only to the most competent technicians. Typically, if someone contacts me with a request for the password I refer him or her to the head of the department.

k.dougherty said:
I use passwords to prevent unauthorized modifications by inept programmers. I provide the password to the head of the department with instructions to provide it only to the most competent technicians. Typically, if someone contacts me with a request for the password I refer him or her to the head of the department.

Great policy. I recently called an OEM and got this response, and I replied with I am the only Automation Engineer on site. You're talking to him. He forked over the password & an apology post haste, he'd thought he offended me. NBD, but it was funny to watch him backpedal with a foot in his mouth.

The question, as always, arises: "Which one is the inept programmer, the one that wrote the program and set the password, or the one trying to get in to fix what should be working already?"

PLC passwords make a good smoke screen to hide poor programming. Occassionaly they may even be justified to protect secrets, although a copyright works better legally. Mostly they are an aggravation for the customer, and a sop for the programmer's ego.

Last edited:
If they are written for a customer and they paid for it then the programmer has no rights to put a pass word in place…, If there are incompetent people that are working at the within the same company then the supervisor should restrict the those employees from changing the programs,they should use the plc for trouble shooting only. So then again there is no place for passwords

This is my 2 cents… ok 1.25

The question, as always, arises: "Which one is the inept programmer, the one that wrote the program and set the password, or the one trying to get in to fix what should be working already?"

I’ll let management decide every time.

As an OEM, we generally NEVER password protect anything.

However, it is becoming more common practice for customers to ask us to password protect certain areas of a program. The fundamental reason is basically that they don't trust their technicians/engineers etc. on site to do the right thing.
I for one find this increasingly concerning, it seems that they are willing to employ more "educationally challenged" engineers nowadays, I think this trend is more dangerous than anything else I've seen recently.

Just an opinion.

This one again !!
It seems that we all have differing beliefs on this one , following is an extract for a bit of software that does unlock S7 blocks - take a look at what the author has to say (hope I don't infringe upon his copyright):-

-The software was made to easy view and modify Step7® blocks protection. It is possible to set and remove protection. Protection removal should only be done by the legal owner of the Step7® blocks.

-The software is a programme that can unlock Siemens® Step7® blocks developed by machinery manufacturers or other suppliers. It should not be used for reverse engineering of copyrighted software or for any other purposes where functional or warranty issues are involved.

It is not used in such a way as to modify the copyright notice of any programme, or to in any way modify any software illegally.

So , all in all dependent on your company and your attitude , the fact that you bought a machine possibly only means you have the right to use the software that runs it , not the right to distribute it , modify it , or in some cases even open it .
Software cheats are the bane of my existance at the moment - I would much rather not have to lock or protect anything , but while there are thieves (and that is what they are) still out there - then I have to do this . I expect I have lost around $40-50,000 USD in 2005 because of this .