GE Fanuc 90-30 communication module?

piscis

I need to connect 4 PLC’s models 90-30 with the following CPU:

Rack 1 CPU 332

Rack 2 CPU 340

Rack 3 CPU 331

Rack 4 CPU 363

The project requires a PC HMI reading all the variable registers inside the PLC’s. I have at least one empty slot in each PLC. Could someone please recommend a communication module to place on each of the PLC?

I need you help with the following issues:

Which communication part number Modules and Cables to buy for each PLC?

Which PLC do you recommend as the Master?

Thanks for all your answers.

Andy

Make the PC running the HMI software the master.

I don't recognize the CPU332. Should that be a CPU323, or is it another CPU331?

You could use the 15-pin port on the power supply as your commuincations port. If you did that, you would not need to add any additional modules. The downside is that when you need to monitor or troubleshoot the ladder logic, you will have to use the same port, so you will need to disconnect the HMI from that PLC.

If you decide you need to keep the programming port available at all times, then you can add a CMM311 module to each PLC. Note that if your rack 1 PLC is indeed a CPU323, it's not compatible with the CMM311 module. ALL the other CPUs are compatible. In case any of the PLCs have expansion I/O racks, be aware that the CMM311 module must be placed in the same rack as the CPU module.

Details for making a cable to connect all of the PLCs to the HMI can be found in several GE Fanuc manuals including GFK-0356.

This is serial multidrop communications, so don't expect blazing speed. Depending on the amount of data required from each PLC, there could be a few seconds between updates from any individual PLC.

If you need faster updates, you could install a Genius communications (IC693CMM302) module in each PLC and have one PLC gather data from the other three. Then have the HMI collect data serially from that PLC.

You could also install an ethernet module (IC693CMM321) in each PLC. Make sure you check the firmware revision levels of each PLC before pursuing that option. You must be at a new enough revision level to be compatible with the CMM321.

Steve:

Thank you very much for your quick response. Since there is only One HMI computer in the system I will opt for the CMM311 suggestion and place one of this in each of the 4 PLC racks.

According to your explanation I must run a cable from each of the CMM311 port (in a daisy chain fashion) and connect the last PLC to the PC using the programming port.

Question:

Will this work? Will I be able to see with VersaPro software all the values inside the variables registers?

How would register %R100 in PLC#1 will be accessed and differentiate from the same variable number in PLC#2?

Which PLC instructions do you recommend I use?

Happy New Year to you and your family

According to your explanation I must run a cable from each of the CMM311 port (in a daisy chain fashion) and connect the last PLC to the PC using the programming port.

Not quite. The HMI PC can communicate through the CMM311. That way the programming port is available on all PLCs.

Will this work? Will I be able to see with VersaPro software all the values inside the variables registers?

Actually, you will be able to connect VersaPro to each of the PLCs through the CMM311 and look at the ladder logic. You can even change timer presets and write data. You just can't edit the ladder logic through the CMM311 port.

The SNP protocol is limited to point-to-point communications. What that means is that VersaPro or the HMI software can only communicate with one PLC at a time. The sequence of events that the HMI software will follow is something like this.

Establish a connection with the first PLC.
Read the required data.
Disconnect from the first PLC.

Establish a connection with the second PLC.
Read the required data.
Disconnect from the second PLC.

Establish a connection with the third PLC.
Read the required data.
Disconnect from the third PLC.

Establish a connection with the fourth PLC.
Read the required data.
Disconnect from the fourth PLC.

Repeat.

How would register %R100 in PLC#1 will be accessed and differentiate from the same variable number in PLC#2?

Your HMI software will have to have the ability to communicate with more than one PLC. In your tag list for the HMI application you will create a tag that is linked to %R0100 in the first PLC, and another tag linked to %R0100 in the second PLC and so on.

Which PLC instructions do you recommend I use?

You shouldn't have to add any ladder logic to be able to communicate. All you will have to do is give each PLC a unique SNP ID. You do that in hardware configuration. One thing you should consider is the range of data registers the HMI needs to look at. For fastest updates, all the data registers in any one PLC should be in consecutive addresses.
For example, if you need to monitor the data in %R0100 and %R0900, that would require the HIM to execute two 'Read' commands. If you add ladder logic to copy the data in %R0100 to %R1001 and the data in %R0900 to %R1002, the HMI can read %R1001 and %R1002 with a single 'Read' command.

Let me think on all your suggestions and I will post back in a while. I will also confirm if LookOutDirect HMI can talk to many or just one PLC.

Thanks

NOTE:

Although having four CMM311 modules is an option I will also explore a custom cable (longest distance between PLC is 100 feet) connected to the programming port (daisy chained) and use the Miniconverter for the PC (IC690ACC901)

Steve:

I find out that LookoutDirect does allow talking to many PLC. I will choose for now the option of having a Custom Cable built and use the programming port to connect all 4 PLC and the PC.

Do you know by any chance a web company able to build a custom cable like this in single piece quantity?

Thanks for all your help.

“Lookout does not associate baud rate, data bits, parity, or stop bits with

a particular serial port. Lookout driver objects that implement different

protocols and baud rates can use the same port and the same modem or

radio frequency. This capability allows you to use various RTUs, PLCs,

and other control hardware over a single radio frequency without

communication conflicts or special hardware. For example, you can use

a single two-way radio connected to a serial port to communicate with

several different brands of RTUs out in the field, each one using a different

protocol. Or, you can have 75 remote PLCs share a set of five

dial-up modems.

I am trying to connect to a 9030 PLC with the 15 pin serial port on the power supply. However, I cannot find the serial port settings for this port. Does anyone know what the port settings are or where I can find them.

Thank you in advance

It's RS485. Default settings are 19200 baud, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit, odd parity. The protocol is SNP.

1 Shield
2 No Connection
3 No Connection
4 ATCH Hand-held Programmer "Attach" signal
5 + 5VDC Power for: HHP and RS-232/485 Converter
6 RTS (A) Request to Send (-)
7 Signal Ground
8 CTS (B') Clear to Send (+)
9 RT Terminating resistor
10 RD (A’) Received Data (-)
11 RD (B’) Received Data (+)
12 SD (A) Sent Data (-)
13 SD (B) Sent Data (+)
14 RTS (B) Request to Send (+)
15 CTS (A') Clear to Send (-)

Hmm

Thanks Steve. Ive tried that setting multiple times in Logic Master 90. Do you have to be in the configurator? We lost coms on our old CPU and couldn't establish coms again. However, we have been unable to set up coms on the new one with the serial cable. We just bought the serial cable from PLCcable.com.

Im not sure where to go from here.

It is possible to modify the default port setup. When you want to change the port setup, you make the changes in hardware configuration and download the modified configuration to the PLC. If that is what has been done to your system, the revised settings can be found in the hardware configuration if you have the project file.

I do have the backup file that I would like to download to the new CPU. However, I cannot establish communication. Under the hardware configurator, there is not serial configuration on the power supply. There is on the processor but the 15 pin cable hooks up to the power supply. I cannot see what the serial settings are on the power supply and I have not been able to find in any of their manuals.

In Logicmaster configuration, select "I/O" (F1). Then cursor to the CPU slot and hit "Zoom" (F10). The port settings on the first page are for the programming port which is the port on the power supply. For those CPU modules that have serial ports, hit "Page Down" to get to their settings.