Which PLC?

PeterH_DK

Hi Guys,
I hope you can give me some input on what kind of PLC to use for this project I am getting involved in. First of all I have no experience in ladder programming/PLCs but have ”fiddled” a it with some Swiss custom made process control systems and done a bit of Pascal and BASIC programming.
The basic problem I have to solve is to register just 3 inputs ( switches) and time stamp every time a switch is activated. The data is then to be transferred by modem/internet to a host.
Added to this one output is to be activated for a short period ( a few seconds) every time an input is activated.

So basically I am looking at the following specs:
3 inputs ( switches)
1 output (lamp)
RS 232 ( for modem)
Realtime clock
Battery backup / eeprom
Price is also (as always) a critical factor since it is part of a commercial product.

I have been looking at several PLC’s but found that most of them can do more much than needed or they don’t have the RTC. What comes closest to the specs is Trilogi’s T100MD888+ ( www.tri-logi.com)
Apart from ladder programming simple BASIC functions can be called
They have a simple emulation software which I have tried and it seems to handle the job.
Does anybody have any experience with TRILogi PLCs? Are they reliable?
Can you recommend an even simpler product?

Best regards
Peter H

There are lots of entry level PLCs available, essentially one for each manufacturer. My favorite is Koyo (AutomationDirect.com) DL-05 but you should verify local availability. The Allen Bradley ML-1000 would fit your needs, and the GE VersaMax, and so on. Even the Siemens S7-200 hardware is not to bad, but the software and learning curve are a bit steep.

If you have local distributors you trust, I'd suggest talking to them. Their support can be invaluable on your first project.

If you go for the AutomationDirect.com DL-05 it does not have a RTC, so you will need to also purchase a RTC option module for it. However I'd say that would be a good choice for your project.

Peter,

As Tom had mentioned there are many options available, mainly depending on your needs and budget.

To give you an idea of just how many, here is a comprehensive list of PLC manufacturers - http://www.plcs.net/chapters/links.htm

I am partial to the controller my company manufacturers. Here are two links to provide you with information and a comparison, based on what you had listed as your requirements.

www.entertron.com/smartrelay.htm
www.entertron.com/smart-pak.htm

Hope this helps you in your decision making process.

God Bless,

For that kind of I/O, I would use one of those "intelligent relay" controllers. Everybody makes one (or badges one). My choice would be the Mitsubishi Alpha-2, but I've also looked at Siemens Logo. Most can be programmed in logic blocks, and some in ladder as well. It is possible to program some using the built in screen, though I've never tried it. I like the Alpha-2 because it has a nice function block for SMS text messaging.

Incredible! There are loads of possibilities. Thanks for your input everybody.

MrQ’s Swedish example almost does the job but sadly only with SMS. I’ll be downloading some manuals from Enterton, Automationdirect, Omron and Mithusbihi.

THANKS for your advice!

Best regards Peter

Hey look at this! You can put togeather your system for as little as $305.00 USD. (acutally less then that if you download the manual for FREE).

http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/PLC_Hardware/DirectLogic_05/PLC_Units

DL05SYSTEM.JPG

However maybe Mr. Roach has a less expensive suggestion??? ;)

Last edited:
elevmike said:

However maybe Mr. Roach has a less expensive suggestion??? ;)

I do.
Mitsubishi FX1S-10 (6I/4O) retails here in Canada for $250, it has embedded RTC.
The additional RS232 card is $65.
The programming cable is expensive but a cheap pin-to-pin version is described on www.mrplc.com forum.
Old (but not bad at all) programming software and all manuals are available for free download.
All prices are in Canadian $.

Last edited:
Sergei Troizky said:
I do.
Mitsubishi FX1S-10 (6I/4O) retails here in Canada for $250, it has embedded RTC.
The additional RS232 card is $65.
The programming cable is expensive but a cheap pin-to-pin version is described on www.mrplc.com forum.
Old (but not bad at all) programming software and all manuals are available for free download.
All prices are in Canadian $.

So now lets say you downlod the AD manual for FREE, then the AD option is actually $277.00 USD.

Ok so he gets the Mitsu for $250.00 and the RS232 for $65.00 = $315.00 CAN. = $270.42 USD. Still short the cable. To beat the AD price, your Mitsu cable must cost less then $6.58....

So actually Sergei, close (very close).. but no cigar...

Mike,

Let's do another comparison, using the options made available to Peter.

The AD unit cost to start = $277.00 for the DL-05 with RTC, cable and software.

The Mitsubishi option is approximately $270.00 US (not including the cable)

The Tri PLC unit to start = $259 (starter kit price) + $39 for the RTC = $298.00

Our starter option = $195.00 for the Starter option we offer that includes cable, software and controller with RTC.

Hmmmmmm...just putting all the pieces together.

Stephen Luft said:
Mike,

Let's do another comparison, using the options made available to Peter.

Our starter option = $195.00 for the Starter option we offer that includes cable, software and controller with RTC.

Stephen, you've seem to have gotten me...However:

Peter H said:
Price is also (as always) a critical factor since it is part of a commercial product.[/QUOTE]
Peter H said:

That comment seems to indicate that there will be a need for many units. If that's the case then subsequent repeats will only require the PLC & RTC.

So each additional AD PLC will cost $148.00.

Still, you seem to have the upper hand, as your website indicates the cost for 100+ units are $110.00 each.