SLC 5/05 ethernet comm

tmdphillips

I am trying to configure my RSLinx via Ethernet/IP devices setting and am looking for 133.133.120.40 and RSLinx does not "see" it. I am an experienced user who has never had this problem. Any suggestions? Any way to "ping" this IP to see if it is set up?
Thanks

Well, yes, just ping it. Command prompt ping will work.
Is the SLC-500 and EthernetIP device? Or is it just plain old AB Ethernet? If it is regular ethernet, you need to use the ethernet driver, not the EthIP driver. You will also need to configure the driver with the IP's of the 'Expected' stations.

Are the subnets set up right?

Also try going online to the 5/05 via serial and check that:

1. The IP address is still set to 133.133.120.40 (no typos)
2. That the BOOTP box is deselected.
3. Check that your cabling is OK. (I've wasted so much time running ethernet problems down, trying everything and finally swaping cables which has fixed the problem, even with new, just-out-of-the-bag CAT5)

Since you are an experienced user I'll skip the usual "what is your IP address ?" routine and give you two of my hints.

First, the SLC-5/05 has only recently come to support the EtherNet/IP browse response. Controllers that are more than two years old will probably not have the firmware that allows them to be "seen" by the RSLinx EtherNet/IP browsing driver. They will still be accessible, as are all PLC-5E controllers, via the Station/IP correlation list in the regular Ethernet Devices driver.

Second, the EtherNet/IP browse can be blocked by several common firewall and VPN products. The Windows XP SP2 firewall, the default settings of ZoneAlarm, and CheckPoint VPN software have all been the culprits on various installations that I have seen.