Viewing RsView SE Application Remotely

solehm

Is there a way to view RsView SE application remotely from home? When viewing from home, the operator can only view the app. He cannot change any setpt or control anything. The server is on Windows XP Pro w/SP2. I heard something about terminal service. Not sure how to set that up?

I have used PC Anywhere V11 before to do remote access (we did a lot of remote programming for HMI, PLC's and Robots) but it WILL allow whoever accesses the system to make changes etc.

I have used VNC to accomplish the same stuff as martB. I have never had a problem with taken over anybodies computer...:D hahhahhha just give me an ip addy...;)

but seriouslly vnc works great for me.

I am trying to do something similar.....connect to RSView SE server from client on a laptop at home. I have established a VPN with the clients network and can ping the PC that has HMI server. When I start the client it says ...could not connect to server...Any suggestions......

I have done this with RSView ME not SE but it was pretty straight foreward. The ME app runs on a PV+1500 on ethernet and I just open RSView studio and click test application and violla! It connects to the compactlogix processors and works like a charm. Just like when the CLX was on my desk during development, now its 200 miles away. Talk about getting a couple of jaws to drop in the office. I would deffinately try the WFCU program from rockwell to make sure all the ports you need are open, I did have trouble when I went to XP SP2 untill I ran WFCU.

Good luck (it's pretty cool to call the customer and tell them they are trying to do something the machine was not designed for when they haven't even called you yet!)

Marc

Yes I did run the WFCU SP2 utility from rockwell. When I try to connect the client it shows me a message - Unable to connect to the HMI server in area "Wastewater". I looked at Rockwell knowledgebase and saw a knowledgebase that discusses same problem. The knowledgebase says the problem is caused when IIS version is 6.0. In my case its IIS 5.1. Not sure what is causing this.....

Try changing the hosts file. It is located in the following directory: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

I had a similar error when I tried to connect. I was able to ping the server computer but RsView SE cannot seet it. After a day of trying different things, I finally added the HMI server computer to the hosts file and it worked.

I connected using the RADES modem and yes it is really slow. Do not know how and what is needed to set up VPN.

I was at customer's site today. I checked the client on their network and it connected without any problems. It definately sems like VPN issue.

I need to try what solehm is suggesting.....

"I finally added the HMI server computer to the hosts file and it worked" ...what do you mean by this...can you elaborate it further..

thanks

Well,

At the site, everything works fine. With the laptop connected to the network switch, launched RsView client, home screen comes up and no error.

At home, I had similar error to yours when my laptop was connected to the network through the RADES-9300 modem. I launched the RsView client and it said something like "Cannot connect to HMI Server". What was weird was that I can ping the HMI server computer, the PLCs, and go online with the PLC, but received the error when I launched RsView Client.

Once I added the HMI server computer to the laptop's host file, everything works fine. I can launch RsView client, can see the screens and no more error.

solehm....Finally I added the IP address to lpatops host file and it worked !!!

Thank you very much for your help.....