Omron Analogue outputs - help!

richard-jb

Hello all and thanks for looking at this post.

I'm having trouble with an Omron CJ1W-MAD42 4 input 2 output analogue unit. I have set up the unit using CX prog and enabled output 1 (DM2000 bit 1). Other settings are 0-10v as output - otherwise standard settings. If I measure the voltage, I get -0.48v across the terminals (B1,B2). If i change the setting in CIO2001, then the voltage does not change at all, but if I exceed 4096 in CIO2001, the unit gives an error suggesting that it is accepting the value, but the voltage always reads -0.48. I have used Omron analogue units before (CQM1-MAD42's) and never had this problem. Does anyone have any good ideas?

Thanks

Richard

I believe you will find that you need to use DM20000, not DM2000

CJ1W-MAD41.jpg

are you turning bits io 2000.00 output1
bit io 2000.01 output 2
this enables the da conversions
also is the range registors set up
[font=XLXOVK+Helvetica]
[/font]

are you turning bits io 2000.00 output1
bit io 2000.01 output 2
this enables the da conversions
also is the range registors set up
This could certainly be the problem, have been caught here before. Even though you have enabled the output, I normally use the always on flag to turn on the bit as well. If I remember correctly, once bus unit settings have been enabled, the output will turn off when the PLC has been powered down.

Also, has a DC supply been connected to the card to enable the card to drive the output? Have been caught here before also.

Thanks all

i haven't enabled the bit using the always on flag so will try this. The card wiring diagram does not show a need for an external DC supply and I belive that it receives it from the PLC power supply which is part of the rack.

Cheers!

There is no need for an external power supply. The module gets its power from the CJ1 bus.

DM20000=0001 (or 0003 depending on 1 or 2 outputs.) Enable conversion
DM20001=0001 (or 0005 depending on 1 or 2 outputs.) Select 0-10VDC
CIO2000=0001 (or 0003 depending on 1 or 2 outputs.) Enable output
CIO2001=0000 to 0FFF for 0 to 10 volts
CIO2002=0000 to 0FFF for 0 to 10 volts
If I measure the voltage, I get -0.48v across the terminals (B1,B2).
Terminals A1,A2 are for output 1
Terminals B1,B2 are for output 2

Last edited:
There is no need for an external power supply. The module gets its power from the CJ1 bus.
Do not normally use MAD units - normally use DA021 or DA041 - they require a power supply. My mistake.

Big thanks to everyone who helped with this - you solved the problem. It turned out to be that it was necessary to switch on dm20000.01 inside the ladder - otherwise it reset.

Thanks again!

:D 🍺

Richard

Quite strangely, I set up a 4-20ma output card recently from the setup table in CX-Programmer. When I powered the PLC down and then back up again, the output stopped working. Finished up setting the bit from an always on contact. I have some suspicions that if you initialise bus unit settings, the setup resets when the PLC is powered down and then back up again. Have had the same problem with routing tables with CLK cards. Had to not initialise bus unit settings to get the CLK to retain the routing table..

????????

Same as BobB. I initialised it through CX programmer settings module, but after power down/up, it had been reset. Using the always ON bit in ladder solved the problem. Previously, I have used CQM1 MAD42's (as opposed to current CJ1 MAD42) and set the DM's once and never had a problem. Hmmmmm!

Confused? I am.....

Richard