IP address Conflict

peng

We have a bunch of Ethernet addresses that were distributed to number of techs to use at our company.

subnet mak 255.255.255.0 (IP. 225.0.8.55,56,57,etc.)

One of techs went to use his given address, when he went to configure and use it, he gets a message that perticular address is used. I know for the fact that perticular address is not used any where. How can we find out where the conflict is?

I did

I did try that and it times out (request times out), and when try to connect it says there is a conflict or been used.

peng said:
We have a bunch of Ethernet addresses that were distributed to number of techs to use at our company.

subnet mak 255.255.255.0 (IP. 225.0.8.55,56,57,etc.)

One of techs went to use his given address, when he went to configure and use it, he gets a message that perticular address is used. I know for the fact that perticular address is not used any where. How can we find out where the conflict is?

You can unplug things at the central switch (or distributed switches) until there is no conflict to isolate the duplicate.

If you have managed switches, you can usually query the switch to see what IP's it sees on each port.

Are you absolutely certain the address isn't used? Not all devices respond to ping requests.

What other configuration options are present on your network? BOOTP? DHCP?

Does the computer have a wireless and wired connection? They shouldn't be set to the same address if so.

How many network adapters show up in the network configuation on the computer? How are they set up? Does anybody have alternate IP's configured ?

Some routers have what is called static DHCP. This is where you can tell the router to issue a device with a specific MAC address a certain specified ip address. This would basically prevent the router from issuing that ip address to any other device. This allows you to set up a device to use DHCP, and still get the same ip address every time it is powered up. This is usually done when the router needs to port forward to a specific ip address.

I am not sure if this would cause a "address conflict error" or not, but it might be something to check in to.