1756-EWEB or Serial <-> IP Converter + SLC?

monkeyhead

So I'm faced with either buying what I want -> ControlLogix 1756-L61 with the 1756-EWEB capable of non-CIP, raw TCP sockets.

Or what I'll most likely be allowed in my budget -> An rs-232 module for an existing spare SLC and a serial to IP converter by the likes of Moxa or B&B electronics.

So I don't need a blistering fast ethernet connection, but I do need to be able to connect to some existing software that uses a raw TCP socket connection and an ASCII based protocol. I only need to send and receive up to 5 messages a second (all less than 32 bytes) so the serial speeds should be more than capable of this.

But is the SLC + Serial/IP converter idea worth pursuing? I definately do not want a PC playing middle man between the PLC and the Existing software. I'm also limited to AB on this one. I'm just worried about it working the way I'm expecting it to.

Can you fellas see any obvious pitfall I'm over looking in this approach to raw TCP sockets for the SLC?

Last edited:
If you have the SLC laying around, I'd go for the Moxa/BB converter. A new CLX would obviously be more expensive, and I'm still not sure that the EWEB will support all kinds of ethernet connections.

I've been frustrated with it when trying to send socketless messages for example.

I never used Moxa and not sure if it does raw sockets connections.
It possible, but I would verify with Moxa.

I am very familiar with 1756-EWEB socket interface and have multiple implementations with Ethernet printers, dataservers and even tried Modbus TCP. I also have seen working RFID, Barcode scanner and shop display applications.

I can say: "Yes", EWEB open sockets will work.
Hardware price will be higher, but I am not sure about implementation cost.

A131152816: Sample Application for 1756-EWEB Sockets Feature
A138737930: 1756-EWEB Open Sockets Application sample
A139056641: ControlLogix Modbus TCP application using 1756-EWEB Open Sockets
A133872010: Using 1756-EWEB Open Sockets with Ethernet Printers

We have both the Moxa and B&B Electronics converters in use in other applications and they both work with raw sockets. We normally use them to get barcode scanners with serial output on the network.

The converter gets a static IP and you can assign a host and port for the data recieved on the serial port to be sent out to. The existing software to be connected to can play either server or client, so this works out well.

But the EWEB is a damn sexy option... Plus I love the idea of it serving a web page so management can easily get their production data and maintenance can check up it from the shop. And I really would have no error control with the serial to IP converter like I would with the EWEB.

After sleeping on it, I think I'm going to plan my proposal with the ControlLogix setup, and use the serial to IP converter as a backup plan if the final numbers turn out too high and I can't justify it.

Thanks for the input guys.

Let me know if you need EWEB sockets help.
If you are familiar with RAW sockets, I would skip first KB technote and start with A138737930.

Also, If Moxa works as Ethernet to serial converter, did you try NET-ENI module instead. It basically does the same thing.

Contr_Conn said:
Let me know if you need EWEB sockets help.
If you are familiar with RAW sockets, I would skip first KB technote and start with A138737930.

Thanks! I poured over the user's guide yesterday and it looks pretty straight forward as far as raw sockets are concerned.

And thanks for the tip about the NET-ENI, I'll look it up and see if it's a good fit.

Another option

Have you seen the DeviceMaster UP yet? It's a cost effective option to what you're seeking. It can be configured to communicate via Ethernet/IP or raw sockets, and offers the web interface as you've indicated. There is also a 4 port option available. The best part is that it is ONE part number regardless of 10/100 or RS-232/422/485 or Ethernet/IP, Modbus TCP, PROFINET, or TCP/IP.

If interested, feel free to contact me, and I can offer you an evaluation unit free of charge for testing for 60 days.