Serial Communication with S7-200 and WinCC v6

husamothman

Hello
I am a university student conducting a project on making WinCC v6 talk to S7-200 CPU 224XP. The thing is:
- Slave PLC is located a way from WinCC by very long distance.
- WinCC should talk to the serial port of the PC and that in turn sends commands to the slave PLC via Radio Frequency Transceiver.
- Slave PLC should then transmit the I/O status to the Master (WinCC) via RF transceiver as well.
- Then, WinCC will receive the data through the serial port and updated the visuals accordingly.

---- What to do --- ? how do i tackle it? knowing that i dont have a PLC at the master side.

Regards,
Husam.

Hello Husam;

There are radio modems that allow for the Modbus protocol to be transmitted (Modscan, is one name I seem to remember).
Here is what Siemens support website has to say about connecting S7-200 PLCs with WinCC v. 6.0 over Modbus:

Communication via "Modbus Serial Modem"You can establish a connection between your WinCC station and the S7-200 via a telephone line using the "MODBUS Serial Modem" channel. You can access inputs, outputs and tag words. However, you will require the S7-200 communication module, the EM241, for this purpose. This module facilitates special communication requirements, like remote maintenance, telecontrol, signaling or remote data transmission over wide distances. The one drawback that should be mentioned is that connecting and disconnecting by dialing using the modem is slow.

Note:
The "Modbus Serial" channel is not included in the basic package of WinCC. You can procure this channel from the engineering consultants Ingenieurbüro Allmendinger ([url="http://www.allmendinger.de)."]www.allmendinger.de). [/url]
Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

Hello DChartier,
I just read your reply, Thanks alot.. However, i am not using Modbus protocol. I want to make WinCC read the PC's Serial Port and update the tags accordingly. The RF Transceivers i am using are non-Siemens.

I'm not a Siemen's guy, but I think WinCC is an HMI package that runs on a PC. Daniel's explanation above indicates that there's a 3rd party Modbus component for WinCC that runs on an EM241 serial interface in the S7 PLC.

If you were connect the PC running Wincc and the PLC in the same control panel, you'd do it with serial cable.

Since the PC and the PLC are not close together, you replace the serial cable with wireless serial radio modems, one at each device on each end. On a wireless modem, whatever serial data comes in wired goes out wireless and vice versa. The wireless modems just replace the cable wire and wired modems.

Phoenix Contact makes their DATA radios for just such a situation.

Dan

No matter which Radio modems you use a connection to WinCC would be only possible troughout the modbus protocol.

On WinCC side you need the "Modbus serial modem" driver from allmendinger.de price??.

On S7-200 side you need the Modbus slave driver.
6ES7 830-2BC00-0YX0 (about 100 USD)