New HP Pavilion

KEN_KACEL

I replaced my Dell with a HP Pavilion. It has a nice wide screen and many features. I was a little hesitant because computers used in PLC applications are finiky. I loaded in all the software OK. Rslinx, logix, PanelBulilder, ect. But when I got to the hardware. The USB to serial it would not load in the drivers kept giving and error. I am using a Radio shack USB and a GoldX USB to serial both bomb on the install (new hardware).I can not get a USB to COM port setup. I am running XPpro Service pack 2. HELP!! Hope I did not waste my money.

I use a Belden USB to serial and a 1747 UIC on my HP Pavillion laptop without issues....trouble-free since Feb 05. I was also a little hesitant about getting the HP as I always used a Dell.

I tried my Quatech SST100 which is serial pcm card this also would not install. I am wondering if the Service pack 2 has something to do with bombing all my drivers for serial COM ports. My dell runs everything fine with XP SP1.

out of curiosity, have you disabled the Windows firewall & the security center as well? Often times, these two will give problems when installing 'network' devices/drivers that they deem a potential threat.

what error are you getting when you try to load the drivers?

I've never had a problem with SP2 blocking drivers from installing... Sounds like HP may have done something weird in their install of XP.

Antivirus!!! Disable it!
Check USB converter website to see if they have updated drivers for XP SP2. I am running SP2 with multiple installations and never had any problems with any hardware. What exact error you getting?

I upgrade my desktop every year..all but the last 2 have been HP..Of the 3 HP's i had 2 had finiky Floppy drives..could read from this disk but not the other..swapped the drive with another and all was o.k...i would try to browse the disk you have in the drive with file explororer..if you cant see the disk then i would suspect the drive..

I have found that all manufactures have there flaws..with HP i think its floppies..with dell i found it was there serial ports..with Cerio it was there hard disk..(That was a major one..the wife is still ****ed at me for loosing all the digital pics we took in the last 6 months!!)..Its just one of those things you have to work thru..

D

Tried another USB to Serial

I have tried:

USB, GoldX, Quatech, Radioshack, and all the USB to serial drivers will not run on this HP Pavillion ZD8000.

I will call Tech support at HP and maybe get some help !!!!!
This just won't due.....

Hi,

I've got 2 HP laptops, 1 ZD7000 and 1 ZD8000,
I'm using the Sitecom CN-104 USB to serial cable, working perfect, and 1 Prolific USB to serial cable, this one was deliverd together with the program cable for the Telemecanique Zelio. This one is working also. System has Win XP pro.