Panel Builder 32

mwatkins

How do you get rid of unused tags other than going through each one and seeing if you can find it on a screen. Can the software go through all the tags and delete the ones that are not used?
Also when in the tag data base is there a way to find out where a tag is used?
Thanks for the info.

The PanelBuilder database doesn't have a "purge unused" or "compact database" function, but there are a couple of tools that can help.

First, bring up the Tag Editor so that it's own toolbar stretches across the top of PanelBuilder.

In the top menu, click on Tools -> Tag Count. This will give you a ranking of tag usage, so you can identify all the tags that are unused in the application. You can't delete them from there, and I agree that this would be handy built into the main spreadsheet as a tag attribute, but that's the way it's done.

When you are in the Tag Editor's spreadsheet, you can right-click on a tag number (which highlights the whole row of attributes) and select "Used By". Double-clicking on one of the tag numbers in the "Used By" results window will take you directly to the object instance in which the tag is used.

I don't have a Tag Count. The only thing that shows up under tools is an options selection.
There is also no used by selection.
I am using PanelBuilder32 Version 3.71
Thanks

I'm running PanelBuilder32 version 3.80, the very newest release. I got it for the 32-color option and support of the newest EtherNet/IP firmware.

Clearly a tag usage count has been on the wish list for a while, and it finally made it into the feature set in 3.80.

Does version 3.71 include the "Used By" function accessed by right-clicking the tag number in the Tag Editor ?

There is a Purge Feature in 3.8

First Close the Tag Editor. Then from the Tools menu select the Tag Count.

Now you hit the Select All button and then purge. Any tag with a count of 0 will be purged (it doesn't say if it compacts the database too???). You can also purge tags individually from here if you desire.

It seems when you open the Tag Count from within the Tag Editor it is read only. :unsure:

Just curious and havent located any information on this. Is there a specific number of tags automatically created when you open a Project in PV32?

I have programmed several PV's, most being on the dreaded RIO. I actually didnt know they had another kind for several years.

The thing is even though I have done it, the tag thing has always confused me a little. Anyone have a simple way to describe tags? Or know of a tutorial?

Should this be a post instead of a tangent?

Well, a little history....

Tags are a historical artifact, like your appendix. Unfortunately, they are gaining in popularity.

Most SCADA systems trace their roots to DCS in the process industries, where every field device had a tag name and tag number. These tag numbers were derived from adn shown on the Process and Instrumentation Drawings. When SCADA came in, because the process and DCS engineers were used to thinking in terms of tags, they included tag names in the set-up portion of the I/O being read and displayed. The scaling, addressing, register location, data type, etc. were all part of the tag data base.

When PLC O/I devices started showing up they were generally register based, having evolved from timer access modules and hand held programmers and such. You just plug in the data register and PLC address and you are done.

SCADA software for some reason has influenced O/I software rather than the other way around. I suppose the more complex O/I software stole programmers from the SCADA folks. At any rate, more and more O/I seems to be tag based. I personally think it takes longer to set up and maintain a tag based configuration than one with straight register addresses, but there may some hidden advantage to tags.

I personally think it takes longer to set up and maintain a tag based configuration than one with straight register addresses, but there may some hidden advantage to tags.
I think there are two main advantages to tags.
  1. The tag name gives at least a hint of what the address is used for
  2. When you have multiple references to an address and need to change it, you only need to change it once in the tag editor an voila
    [/list=1]

rsdoran wrote:
    Anyone have a simple way to describe tags?
    I have always thought of them as symbols are in a PLC. I've never had to setup a RIO panelview. All my Panelview's have been DH+ or DH-485. In this case, the tag list is simply a database of addresses in the processor.

HTH

One way to take advantage of tag names is to "group" them using text. For example--all alarm type tags begin with the text ALM_. All tags pertaining to Dryer #1 begin with DRY1_. OR even DRY1IN_ or DRY1OUT_.