Rookie Question...HELP!

mkalavitz

Hello,

A Mechanical Engineer here trying to setup a very BASIC test with a PLC...Here is what I have...

We have a Idec Micro3 controller that has just been pulled out of the box..I believe that it is about 5 years old...It came with WindLDR software for programming...The problem that I am having is that the WindLDR software is not evidently compatible with Windows XP....They are asking me to upgrade from 3.0 to 4.0+...I don't have a problem with this, but the lead time is 5days...I need something sooner...

Does anyone have any suggestion for programming this controller? Or other software that will interface with an Idec Micro3?

Or does anyone know of a similar product that can be purchased that has the software included?

Everything that we test is 12VDC...if there are inputs they are 12VDC...Same with outputs...We can power it with 12VDC or 110VAC...We need no more than 12 in 6 out....Any suggestions for such a basic controller? HELP!

thx
Mike

5 day lead time for a piece of off the shelf software for a common PLC?

I would say that more than anything else, what you need first is a new supplier. You should be able to get that update the next day. Have you told the supplier that the five day lead time is unacceptable and that he will not make a sale if he cannot deliver the software within 24 hours?

Thanks...

Thanks for the help!

I did try the demo...I can use it locally but can write to the controller...OUCH!

But, I do have a copy of 4.0 on the way ...Over night!

Thanks again....

Mike

sounds like your supplier is trying to jack you for the overnight expense...try talking to another supplier, then throwing that info in your current suppliers face & tell them to eat the overnight expense.

If you already have a reqistered copy I think you can download a free upgrade.
My experience with Idec has been nothing but good. The micros are limited but adequate for many simple tasks. They are also sturdy as hell.
They often give me free software to give to the customer.