Get screen "Going to Online Programming State"

mulderm

Hello,

I using RSLogix V7.0 and PLC5/25 processors.
When I want to going online with a PLC5/25 processor
I get a screen: " Going to Online Programming State
searching for offline image, no matching file found "
Then I must to do a upload and then I get the online processor
with the offline image.
This taken so long because doing the upload.
Why do RSLogix5 not direct taken the offline-image?
When I want to going online with a processor I want direct
to online and not getting the programming state screen.
Who knows the answer?

Greetings,

mulderm

I have a PLC5/15 ("original", not "enhanced" plc5) that does the same thing. I believe (in the case of my processor anyway) that it does not do an internal checksum or last edit timestamp, therefore RSLogix can't be sure of a match so it always forces me to "upload/use file".

I think the 5/25 is the same original type PLC5.

You are right OkiePC.
But when I using the old AI-series software there is no
problem and get direct Online without doing an upload.
Strange isn´t it?

mulderm

mulderm said:
Hello,

I using RSLogix V7.0 and PLC5/25 processors.
When I want to going online with a PLC5/25 processor
I get a screen: " Going to Online Programming State
searching for offline image, no matching file found "
Then I must to do a upload and then I get the online processor
with the offline image.
This taken so long because doing the upload.
Why do RSLogix5 not direct taken the offline-image?
When I want to going online with a processor I want direct
to online and not getting the programming state screen.
Who knows the answer?

Greetings,

mulderm
The software checks the program in the CPU against what's stored on disk. As long as the two match, and RSLogix can find the matching file, it will go directly online. Believe me - I do it all the time. Go online with the PLC and save the program on the processor back to your computer. Now the online and offline versions should exactly match. Now it's just a matter of having the software look for the file where it's stored. In RSLogix go to Tools>Options>Preferences and make sure the "Project Files Search Path" is pointing to where you keep your project files. If it is you should not have a problem.

I'm a regional technician for the company I work for and I take care of several different PLCs. PLC5-40E, PLC5-25, SLC 5/03, 5/04, 5/05, CompactLogix, ControlLogix and several older Siemens 505s.

The message you're seeing is a common message for the RSLogix software. It's not specific to the PLC5/25. I've seen it with the SLCs as well. As I said earlier, it's all related to your online and offline programs matching and the software's ability to find the matching program - communications and all.

Juice76,

Sorry, but I don´t believe it.
Do you have use this with a plc5/25 processor?
See the application note A6721 of the rockwell knowledgebase.

mulderm

Greetings Juice76,

you are correct ... the problem message that mulderm is seeing IS quite common ... as you said, it does pop up for many other models other than for his PLC-5/25 ...

but here’s the crux of the matter ...

with MOST other processors, the message ONLY pops up when the ONLINE contents of the processor do NOT match the contents stored in the OFFLINE file on the computer ... when the contents of the two locations DO match, then the message does NOT pop up ...

with mulderm’s older “classic” style processor, the message ALWAYS pops up ... regardless of whether he’s just saved the file or not, he ALWAYS gets the message ... this is very annoying ... but there is really no solution - other than upgrading to an “enhanced” style processor ... the reason is that the older “classic” type processors do not have the ability to calculate a “program checksum” ... and that checksum value is one of the things that RSLogix looks at when deciding whether the ONLINE and the OFFLINE programs match each other ...

and so ... you are BOTH correct ...

That's one of the things that I like about the 505-line (w/ TiSoft).

Your PC version does NOT have to match the Processor Version.

When you go on-line, you simply see what's in the processor. Now it might be the case that the particular local PC that you are using doesn't have all of the latest names... however, you will indeed see, at least, the addresses associated with the particular Vmems, Inputs, Outputs, and Control Relays.

This is one of the crazy things that AB seems to be reluctant to give up on.

They want your PC version to match your PLC version.

What the Hell !!!

If they go through the effort of comparing the two enough to see that the two don't match, then why don't they use the same time to simply bring the current PLC version into a "Live Copy" of the program on the PC???

Oh... you say they don't actually compare files? You say that they simply compare file-date?

Look... if a guy is going on-line, he should expect that it won't be instantly, as in zero-time. Let the PLC download the current program during the normal house-keeping schedule. If it takes a minute... SO WHAT? WHO THE HELL CARES?

GIVE ME WHAT IS!

I just don't get those guys... those engineers at AB... there is something very... sedintary about their thinking.

Terry,

I think it is because of the dreaded Password. If the program was uploaded every time, then anyone that went online would be able to get a copy without the password.

mmmmmm...I think it is more to do wth being absolutly sure...you could have 2 machines with almost the same config but not quite..do you want to make a change on the wrong one??

Lets face it..it takes an extra 2 or 3 mins to download..but at least you know yoiu are editing the right program....

d

Yes, if you upload from PLC to PC, then you know you have the logic that is running. But you can't be sure that you have the correct symbols and comments that go with it, because those may have been edited (and they are stored only on the PC and maybe not the same version as the PLC).

Terry, AB doesn't give you what isn't.

When you're online, what you see is what you have absolutely guaranteed. AB, with processors that use the checksum and edit timestamp, actually takes a shortcut while still guaranteeing the match. It is only the old classic processors that don't have this internal checksum. With those, you through a deliberate process designed to point out that you may not have matching comments. The software then affords you the opportunity to browse to the correct (or most correct file).

Most A/B processors out there with the checksum and timestamp match will go online very quickly and let you jump to any position in the file without having to upload. Meanwhile, RSLogix refreshes everything you have visible. If you open a trend chart or a data table window, RSLogix updates it with uploaded PLC data all the while it's visible.

Without the matching timestamp, everything is uploaded sequentially, and you are only allowed to view ladder logic and data as it becomes available. On a large system this can take a whole minute or so to complete, but AB did a good job of sequencing the stuff so what you're most likely to look at is loaded first.

AB always compares the checksum. You can choose to ignore the last edit timestamp. By default, comparing the checksum and last edit timestamp, you go online quick with 100% accuracy. Without a match, you go online a little slower with 100% accuracy.

AB got this right.