GE FANUC 90/30 programming

PLCRookie

Guys,

I just came across a 90/30 with logicmaster software form a salvage machine. I use mostly AD stuff, and like it ,but I would like to learn more about the 90/30, I'm not sure I want to use the logicmaster software. It looks to be DOS only. Is there any other software available for this model that wont set me back hundreds or thousands? Any other comments greatly appreciated.

If you're on good terms with your local distributor, you may be able to get a CD for either VersaPro (older) or Proficy ME (current) software. You can install them and run for four days without licensing. After four days you will not be able to download any program changes unless you uninstall and then reinstall the software. The software is fully functional and any files you create will be retained through the uninstall/reinstall procedure.

A licensed copy of Proficy ME will cost around $750 depending on what kind of discount you can get from your distributor.

A licensed copy of Proficy ME for the GE Fanuc VersaMax Micro/Nano will cost you significantly less money. In fact, you could buy a Micro PLC and software for it for less money than you'd spend for just the version of Proficy ME that supports the 90-30. The Micro instruction set is almost identical to the 90-30.

Check your private messages on this site for some additional options.

Versapro is being superceded by Proficy Machine Edition (formerly Cimplicity ME)it seems to be a pretty good package. It is much easier to use than Logicmaster but still doesn't stray too far from its' Logicmaster roots. It is going to cost you in excess of one thousand dollars though.

Steve

There are several price levels for Proficy ME depending on which family of PLCs you need to support.

The lowest price version supports the VersaMax Micro/Nano family, It's under $150. Next is the 'standard' version. It adds support for the VersaMax and 90-30 line. Then there is the pro version which adds support for the 90-70 and the PAC lines.

While LogicMaster is starting to show its age, 16 years or so, there is still a lot of it out there. A lot of old 386 laptops in factorys running dos and LM.

I prefer LM90 to VersaPro, Cimplicity, or Profecy. This is not to say that they are bad, but I can really fully with my old laptop and LM90 (laptop is a pentium).

The 9030's and new RX3's will be around for quite a while in the future.

If $ or time is an issue, you can still learn a lot from LM90 on the GE hardware, while waiting for the new software to come.

If buying software, you will be $$$ ahead to buy a starter or toll box kit, where you get the hardware, software, cable, and manuals for a really sweet price.

Contact your local friendly distributor, if you didn't get any info by PM earlier.

If more info on starter kit or distributor is needed, seen me a PM, and I can give you a name or two.

regards.....kc

DISCLAIMER - I am a happy GE user, not connected with a distributor or GE. Currently not speaking with my local distributor. I have done contract work for GE, but in their Industrial Controls and Switchgear divisions. I endorse GE FAnuc and Entertron plc's, but also like Moeller "easy" smart relay.

I would also advise cheecking the cpu and firmware it may need an upgrade to take newer software. Had some 341 that needed new firmware to use versapro.

Just a slight warning:

If you update the firmware, the first time you connect to the PLC with VersaPro or ME the program will be recompiled - you can't go back to LM90 after this point (unless you clear the memory and reinstall the original program from LM90)