AB PanelView 1400e CRT gone bad...but only the CRT

TheCaptain2000

Lifetime Supporting Member
My CRT has gone out on my panelview 1400e, but all communications and controls are still functional through the function keys. Of course, for this whole unit, prices begin around $3500, not to mention they are being phased out now.

I did start exploring the inner-workings of this device and did find a standard 15-pin analog monitor plug on the underside of the assembly, where the actual computer interfaces with the CRT. Well, not really having enough time to wait a night for a new, expensive unit, I attempted to attach a newer standard 17" external CRT monitor to it from eMachines. It worked! Not only that, it is much brighter and colorful than the previously aged 14" CRT. My setup has been running for 5 days now. It is a nasty rigging right now, but I can operate the machine.

However, I have been told by a source of unknown reliability that the "now useless" monitor was of a higher grade than what I am using now and that I may "burn up" this monitor in a matter of days. I am having a very hard time believing that. However, when it comes to smaller electronics, I am a little in the dark. But, the original AB monitor inner-workings just about resembles any other monitor's inner-workings.

To anyone who knows, is this "source" of mine correct in that I may be "frying" my newly rigged monitor. If so, what if I wired in an "off-the-shelf" LCD monitor instead. With only the monitor bad in my AB panelview 1400e, I find it hard to justify paying upwards of $3500-4000 for a whole new unit.

We usually have our bad CRT's replaced by a local industrial electronic repair shop, they have a source for industrial CRT's. Replacing the CRT and the key membrane usually runs about 700-800 USD.

For the low cost of your rig, what do you have to lose by trying it. So what if the eMachines monitor dies, you won't have lost much and can upgrade then to a higher class monitor. At least you know you can put another monitor on it and keep the line running until you get something else.

I agree. I guess the real questions are:

1. Are industrial CRTs really different than regular ol' CRTs?

2. Am I going to burn a regular cheap'o ol' CRT up? I always thought that if a unit had a standard 15-pin analog monitor output plug, that any monitor would suffice.

3. If yes to question 2, would a "off-the-shelf" $200 LCD work, or am I going to burn it up too?

1. Be proud of the fact that you made it work where most others (myself included) probably wouldn't even try.

2. Unless someone can prove an electrical difference that would cause it to fail prematurely, I would go forward under the assumption that it should hold up as long as it would normally survive in that environment.

3. Expect people to try to shoot you down just 'cause your outside the box. Take it with a grain of salt but be open-minded if they offer supporting facts.

4. Let us know what you learn please. I have a PV1200 in similar shape.

Thanks
OkiePC

"4. Let us know what you learn please. I have a PV1200 in similar "shape.
"
"Thanks
"OkiePC

Will do!
TheCaptain2000

PS

I do not consider this matter closed, if anybody else has any more input, I am open to it!

Thanks!

I have replaced the CRT in a Panelview 1400e with one from a free 14" computer monitor. The one removed was...

Manufacturer: LG.PHILIP

Type # M36EDR320X130/6CF1R

It seems like this was resold (another sticker on the removed CRT)by Video Display Corp, their part number M36EDR320X131. Their home page is http://www.videodisplay.com/ and are located in Phelps, NY.

The CRT I installed was from a Dataview computer monitor, and with just a little tweak of the flyback transformer it's been working great. Oddly enough, I also was thinking of mounting an inexpensive LCD ($150 at BJ's Wholesale Club) in place of the CRT, but free is free.

Update!!!

So far so good. The Panelview stays on 24/7 just as it always has. No problems here!

I love cheap/free solutions!

Should not make much difference, I don't think even an expensive HMI would contain anything more than a standard crt(they just like to fleece industry).

I have now replaced the touch panel on a Siemens TP27 HMI (cost of HMI is about £2,500), I found the manufacturer of the touch panel & LCD the touch panel cost me £55.00).

Also have replaced 2 colour screens on Beijers E terminals at a fraction of the cost of new ones or repair by so called recommended repairers.