WAGO Ethernet Coupler

Les L

Hi,

On site we run an ethernet backbone with AB 5/05, Micro Logix and PLC 5. We also have some WAGO Ethernet Nodes, (Modbus Protical)

Is it possible to connect these two proticals and have them talk to each other.

Thanx

Did anyone ever get you an answer on this? I've got the same situation that I've been checking into OPTO-22 ethernet "repeaters".

So far, I haven't gotten very far short of ordering these babies in, and connecting them to my SL 5/05 and just "wingin it", like I always do.

Just curious if you had gotten anymore information, cause I'd like to know too.

EDITED REPLY:

Oh **** I got in a hurry again, I thought you wrote communication with Wago Ethernet to Ethernet SLC 5/05...sorry for any confusion, please disregard my post.

Last edited:
Wago

I have never worked with WAGO products but I know they can work with Ethernet Modbus protocol. The Allen-Bradley PLC-5's that I am familiar with can also communicate using Ethernet Modbus protocol, so I see no problem with them being able to communicate over your backbone.
Roger

A-B's proprietary Ethernet protocol that works with PLC-5, SLC-5/05 and 1761-NET-ENI modules is NOT compatible with Modbus/TCP. You won't be able to use Wago or any other I/O module that uses Modbus/TCP unless you have some sort of bridge or converter between the two protocols.

Don't get me started about Schneider Electric's selective enforcement of their Modbus/TCP patent.....

Modbus

Ken

I have never worked with Wago products nor have any experience with Modbus protocol so I am not speaking from experience. I have read that A-B Micrologic1200-1500 can have its channel 0 configured to use Modbus protocol, but I think as a slave. I recall reading about Ethernet Modbus protocol related to the PLC-5, but after reading your post and thinking about it I probably misunderstood what I read in the article. I worked with the PLC-5 family for a lot of years and never ran into anything stating a direct Modbus communication. I am trying to relocate that article so I can read it again, a little more carefully this time.
Thanks Ken, you guys are so versatile, I just may learn something.(now thats a scary thought)

Roger