CP5512 and Intouch

khanh

I like to use my laptop to talk to a certain PLC on MPI network and pull data to view on Wonderware Intouch Trend for troulbleshooting. Has any body had experience and sucess with this connection. I have a laptop with CP5512 and I can do anything from my office using Step 7. I tried WW I/O server, OPC... but no sucess. I just want to trend infomation like the useful trend feature in RSLogix of AB. Thanks.

I don't know much about the Intouch I/O server, but for using OPC you need an S7 OPC-Server for MPI installed on your laptop, for example the OPC-Server in the SimaticNET for Profibus package.
Then you must configure the connection to the PLC in the OPC-Server. To test the connection you can use any OPC-Client, for example the Siemens OPC-Scout, the Matrikon OPC-Explorer or the FactorySoft OPC-Client.
When it is possible to connect to the PLC with one of these clients then it also should be possible to configure a connection via OPC in Intouch.

Axel

Thanks. Do you know or have any infomation how to set this up from start to end. I've never used OPC before and Siemens only one year. I used to deal with AB and Wonderware.

The configuration of the SimaticNET OPC-Server is depending on the version of SimaticNET installed on your laptop.

If it is >= 6.0, then the first step is to create an extra Step7-project for your laptop, insert a SIMATIC PC-Station into the project, add the hardware (CP5512 & OPC Server) to the PC-Station, configure both, save and compile, start NetPro, highlight the OPC Server, add an unspecified connection with the MPI-parameters of the target-plc, save and compile, highlight the PC-Station and load the configuration into the station (for this you must select the PC/PG-Interface "PC-internal (local)" first).

After this procedure you should see the connection in an OPC-Client ("OPCScout" for example) with the name of the unspecified connection in NetPro.

Hope that helps

Axel

Khanh,

In the download section of the forum, Jesper has posted a 'how to set up an OPC using Simatic Net' word document. This can be found in the Siemens section.

I haven't read it, but it might be useful to you.

Paul

Thank you for all your help. It is a little tough for me because I have Step 7 5.2, Windows XP and CP5512. I don't have option to go to Step7 5.3 to use higher SimaticNet and the old SimaticNet rejected Windows XP so I have to try to work around all these.

I downloaded the file but I don't have Simatic NCM PC manager on my laptop. With your experience, what you think I should do to make it work so that I can monitor a certain bit in a PLC that want to. Again thanks for all your help.

khanh said:
Thank you for all your help. It is a little tough for me because I have Step 7 5.2, Windows XP and CP5512. I don't have option to go to Step7 5.3 to use higher SimaticNet and the old SimaticNet rejected Windows XP so I have to try to work around all these.
But there should be a version of SimaticNET (I think it's 6.1 or 6.2) which is working with Step 7 5.2 and Windows XP. The only Problem may be the CP5512, I don't know if it is included in the hardware-catalog of Step 7 5.2, in Step 7 5.1 it isn't. But you can use the CP5511 instead if the CP5512 is missing in the hardware-catalog.

khanh said:
I downloaded the file but I don't have Simatic NCM PC manager on my laptop.
As I know is NCM S7 a part of the Step 7 package since Version 5.0, so it ether should be installed automatically with Step 7 or the installation-resources must be included on the Step 7 installation CD.

khanh said:
With your experience, what you think I should do to make it work so that I can monitor a certain bit in a PLC that want to. Again thanks for all your help.

I think with the mentioned hard- and software it should be possible to get the SimaticNET OPC-Server running.

If it's not working for you, there are several other OPC-Servers for S7-plcs on the market, but all OPC-Servers I know require to pay for a license.

Axel

It was my mistake I got Step 7 V5.1 not V5.2. So I could not find Simatic NCM PC Manager anywhere on my laptop. I have Station Configurator, Configure Simatic Workspace, Configuration Console, Configuration Infomation Services and Setting PG-PC Interface.

So here is what I did. I opened one project I have for an equipment, added a PC-Station and named it exactly like my computer name. I Used hardware configuration to add OPC Server and CP5511( CP5512 is not available). Set CP5511 for MPI use address 0 and networked=yes. Open Netpro and download the whole PC-station just created to the MPI address of the equipmet which is 22 and I got: "the connection to target module can not be established". Clicked OK then I got:"Unable to establish the connection to the module Station Manager (index 125) in station B34YM31 (my PC name). Do you want to continue without this module?"
Do all these sound right?

khanh said:
So here is what I did. I opened one project I have for an equipment, added a PC-Station and named it exactly like my computer name. I Used hardware configuration to add OPC Server and CP5511( CP5512 is not available). Set CP5511 for MPI use address 0 and networked=yes. Open Netpro and download the whole PC-station just created to the MPI address of the equipmet which is 22 and I got: "the connection to target module can not be established". Clicked OK then I got:"Unable to establish the connection to the module Station Manager (index 125) in station B34YM31 (my PC name). Do you want to continue without this module?"
Do all these sound right?
At first you schouldn't download the configuration of your PC-station to the plc with MPI address 22. For setting up your PC you must download the configuration of the PC-Station via the PG/PC-Interface PC-internal (local).

Maybe you must configure your CP551X in the Configuration Console also. The CP551X must be set to Configured Mode and the Index must be the same as the Slot of the CP551X in the hardware-configuration of your Step 7 project.

In the Station Configurator you should see at least the CP551X, the OPC-Server, both at the Index corresponding to the Slot in the hardware-config of your project, and the Stationmanager at Index 125.

There is also a PDF document Commissioning PC-Stations located in the Simatic\Simatic NET - folder of the startmenu, which is discribing the whole configuration process step by step.

You must also configure the connections to to the plc(s) in Netpro. To do this, you must highlight the OPC-Server, and in the list at the bottom you must add the connections with right mouseclick and Insert new connection. Then in Station you can either select the plc to connect with or select an (unspecified) communication partner, if the plc isn't in the same project. You should always select the connection type S7-Connection. In the next dialog you must set up the local ID of the connection (which will be the name of the connection in the OPC-Server). For an unspecified connection you must also set up the MPI-Address of the plc and (under address-details) the rack and slot number of the cpu. I think you can leave all ather settings unchanged.

One additional hint:
When you add your PC-Station to an existing project you must always load the configuration into all communication partners when you change something in the settings of the project. In your case I think it would be better to create an extra project only for your PC-Station, then you can define unspecified connections to all the plcs you want to see with the OPC-Server and you don't have to load the configuration to the plcs.

Hope that helps ...
It's late, I'm going home now :)

Axel