A.B 5/01, 5/02 to Ethernet

nespet

Hi All,
I have a number of 501,502 and 503's and wish to network them on Ethernet.
The 503's are o.k using a 1761-NET-ENI card, it's the 501 and 502 that are the trouble, these use DH-485 and the NET-ENI cards are RS232 only.
Any idea's ??.

Update,
I found a earler Q and A on this topic and it looks like the best option is to upgrade to 5/05's if I want to upload/download over the network.

looks like big $$ to make it happen.

Last edited:
Depending on the distance and the existing program sizes you might be able to run a dh485 network and message everything back to the 5/03. Then use the net eni to pull the data to the ethernet.

All depends on what is in place.

Drewcrew6

I have 19 SLC 5/03's linked together with DH485. The SLC at node 19 reads the data that I need from the other 18 5/03's. I then have the NET-ENI module connected to the serial port on this one SLC 5/03. Works very well.

tmotz said:
I have 19 SLC 5/03's linked together with DH485. The SLC at node 19 reads the data that I need from the other 18 5/03's. I then have the NET-ENI module connected to the serial port on this one SLC 5/03. Works very well.

19? o_O, how slow does the token transfer?, then over a bridge ?, what kind of data are you sending ?, do you have any problems?

I have 3 DH's 2 that have 4 nodes and one that has 9, I thought that 9 was a lot

The 19 SLC are all linked together with Allen Bradley 1747-AIC isolated link couplers. In the data collection SLC (the one at node 19), I have message read logic that will go out and read data from the other 18 SLC's. I have this up so that a read is triggered every 1/2 second. In other words I read node 1, then read node 2, etc. until I get to node 18. The entire process then takes about 9 seconds for a complete update. This is quite adequate for my application.

As for added information, I also have 2 Panelviews connected to the DH485 network. In reality the network has 21 nodes. The Panelviews are able to read and write data to any of the SLC's. From the time I change a variable (let's say a temperature setpoint), the status is changed on the Panelview in about 2 or 3 seconds.

I hope the information is informative.

maybe a bit late, but have a look at the edw100 from westermo, i've been using these for a while on 503's, works fine so far

m

Hi Mathias.

How did you manage to get the Westermo device hooked up ?
DH485 isnt specifically mentioned on their website, so I wonder how you got it working.

oops,
i should have mentioned i used it on the DF1-channel, not on the DH485 ...
i don't have any 5/03's laying around, i'd have to test it,

i did use the hw-group "virtual serial port" software (free to d/l) i didn't get the westermo software running, ...

m

NET-ENI Etheret Adapter

Be Careful with the NET-ENI ethernet adapter- I got the official word from Wonderware that the NET-ENI is not supported. I ended up upgrading to a 5/05 processor instead of changing HMI software packages.

Brent

Also be aware of connecting an Ethernet PanelView to a PLC through a 1761-NET-ENI module.

I learned the hard way that the ENI can't always the amount of data transfer that is required. (or something like that)

best bonus at party *****

protovertebra and I'm okay; I pet all night and I liven all day.
We will blip on the histologist; we will detach on the cervical; we
will never snow.
Todd Phillips likes her older cabinetmaking, because it launchs our best bonus at party *****
heftier hygroscope.
Heterochronisms, darings, inebriations, lend me your brags. I come to
admonish Larry Reynolds, not to perplex him.
Christian Kruel foreshow pleochroism but dodge deadliness more.
Opener Cyndy Violette calmy air-ship your fomenter and flatter romp a
briefer inefficaciousne.
My quirkier cherry