PLC5 DH+ network crashing

adyb

HI

Every time I connect to the dh+ network one of the PLC's loses its node address, and memory.

Using rslogix5 latest version, rslinx lite, pcmk connecting through ch1a.

PLC is a 5/60b. Tried changing the processor but same fault.

Tried leaving the processor key switch in run but when it crashes it still loses its marbles.

Also, if rslinx is running when you connect to the DH+ network, should this crash one of the plc's?

Please help

Kind regards

Adyb

No, not even if you've tried to connect with a duplicate address (did you try changing the PCs DH+ address). Also, any possibility you're trying to connect to a Remote I/O connection instead of a DH+ connection?

BTW, in the early 90s I saw this happen with a PLC5/x (don't remember) and eventually the processor went bad and had to be replaced. Based on that experience, I would try out a new processor and if that doesn't work, the rack would be highly suspect.

Tried changing the processor but same problem.

Most of the time you don't even have to log on the system, it just crashes.

One of the channels was recently changed from a scanner to dh+ and the ajoining plc was changed also.

Would it make any difference if the dh+ cores were crossed over?

Is there any software that can check the network and display the physical connections between the plc's rather than just the node addresses?

I have more questions than answers.....sorry

thanks for the reply but I'd still like more help if I can get it

Regards

Adyb

If a channel was switched from Remote I/O to DH+, the 2 communication wires of the blue hose get switched. Also check for proper termination resistors; different values based on DH+ speed.

Last edited:
adyb,
I saw this happen on a 5/40E just the other day. The thecnician I was working with had incorrectly pushed the RIO connector into one of the slots that was programmed as DH+. Have a look at the comms setup screen in RSLogix5 offline program. Write down the settings of the Channels. Example: 1A = DH+, 1B = RIO, 2A = not used etc. Since our 2 different blue hose were not labeled. It was pretty easy to stick the wrong one in to the socket.
BD

I have had it happen to me, but my problem was the PC and the processor had the same address. Check to make sure that is not it. I had the same problems processor lost everything and faulted out.