help with calculation

quebmaint

I'm using a micrologix 1000 and I'm trying to do a calculation on inches per second. What i'm doing is trying to find circumference of a roll by comparing it to inches per seconds of the press. My problem is my multiple will not always be a whole number but I need an accurate number I.E say I have 2000 ips and it took the roll 2.5 seconds to go around. I want to divide 2000/2.5 to get my answer. any help

Why are you wanting circumference?

You have variables to deal with..ie core size and thickness of material...ie thicker the material the larger the circumference per inches of material.

There are formulas but just use what is known...ie how many inches will create xx inches diameter.

BTW d=2pi*r...know the diameter and you can get the circumference.

The ML1000 suppor decimal numbers?

Last edited:
The ML1000 does not support floating point numbers. You will have to do integer math. For example, you could use units of 1/10 of inches per minute. Thus you divide by 25 instead of 2.5. However any circumference calculation is going to use the value of Pi, which is a floating point number. I suspect you are going to quickly run into integer overflow and rounding problems.

To use floating point numbers you will have to upgrade to the ML1200 at a minimum. The ML1200 is only a few dollars more anyways.

Last edited:
were trying a rollstand upgrade and I need to tell the bump and knife when to fire but diameters of rolls very. And no ml1000 doesn't support decimal numbers but i was wondering if there would be a way around it

I don't think I need to use pi because I know how many ips and my flag point is one whole rotation of a roll circumference