PG Software

calypsochris

The current software version on my PG, is older than the versions used to program some of our more recent machine PLC`s.
How do I go about updating my versions?

My Partner in crime has a new PG, obviously, with newer versions. is it safe to upload the software from his installation disc, or will I encounter problems?

First, Casey - PG stands for some German pair of words that Siemens have used since way back when as an abbreviation for their programming units, or these days their industrial laptops.

Second, CalypsoChris - I'm not sure if I read this correctly but are you proposing to take software already purchased for and in use on another PG and use it to upgrade yours? Likely to fail on a couple of counts. One, your conscience won't let you: that would be illegal copying of software. And as a member of this august community here at PLCs.net we're sure you wouldn't do that. Secondly, if it's a major release upgrade then the software authorisation token(s) will have changed as well, and you say your partner is already using it/them. If it's a minor release upgrade (i.e a service pack or bugfix) then you should be able to update that easily, as these are distributed free on Siemens' web-site in any case.
So how to upgrade? Purchase an upgrade I'm afraid.

Regards

Ken

As Ken pointed out , you wouldn't do that anyway would you ?
Secondly , to run S7 5.3 with any degree of stability , I find that I need every ounce of 1 gig ram and 2.88 gig processor , if you want to run flex at the same time , consider a higher spec .
It is unlikely that an older PG will give you what you want .

You presumably realize that your license for one version will not work for the new version.

You probably also know that the OS requirements may be different. For example, S7 5.1 would install on Win XP Home - 5.3 will only install on XP Pro.

You shouldn't have any trouble opening an older project with the newer version but if you should happen to save it, you're now committed.

Of course, by copying the software, your "partner in crime" would literally become just that - in legal parlance, (s)he'd be your accomplice.

Thanks for all your help,
Ken M, I do have a conscience, and the purchase of a newer version appears to be the correct path to follow.
10BaseT, over my head mate, sorry, I just want to plug and play!
Beggar, presume and assume nothing, O.S?
Casey, PG tips, (Tea)
RMA, That will come in handy in a pub quiz, perhaps!

Thanks again

calypsochris said:
Casey, PG tips, (Tea)

Thanks again

Sorry but most on this side of the pond wont have a clue what you are are refering to..I however do..and am still laughing..Do you know how long it been since i thought of the PG Chimps making a cuppa??..its been at least 15-18 years...thanks for reminding me!!

was it 2000 perferations??

D

BTW i am still laughing...thanks for making my day!!!

calypsochris said:
Beggar, presume and assume nothing, O.S?

OS = Operating System

Like I said, for S7 5.3, you must have Win XP Pro (I think you could use Win 2000 but not sure). Definitely NOT Win XP Home