Capturing elasped time with PLC and (2) photosensors

Dan Stacy

Fairly new to PLC's/rslogix....Is it possible/practical to capture elapsed time using (2) photosensors? For example, I would like to capture the time elapsed between input 1 being on and input 2 coming on. I am thinking about calculating velocity in some physics experiments using a small dc motor powered model car that would "cruise" past input 1 and input 2. I could then take that time and calculate velocity. If I can do it, how accurate would it be if the sensors wer approximately 3 feet apart. Thanks!!
Equipment - AB micrologix 1000
AB photo sensors

You should be able to calculate the worst case error by calculating the scan time of the program, and the repeatability of the photoeyes. DC will be more accurate than AC generally.

Similar Topics

Hello. I actually still have a customer that has a 486 running a DOS program controlling a press. My task, convert it to an AB PLC and PV+. I am...
Replies
Views
is it possible to capture a value while its constantly changing then taking its highest reading? I have a nozzle that sprays for 10 seconds. I...
Replies
Views
Hey all, First time poster looking for a little help. I have a Kinetix 6000 drive that I am capturing faults for in RSLogix but I need some help...
Replies
Views
Hello PLC Experts, I want to do a logic where in an analog value will be captured per second or in any time possible and move that value into a...
Replies
Views
Processor: Schneider M241 Software: SoMachine 4.3 I am trying to capture the RPM of a shaft using a prox sensor. The shaft has two cams on it...
Replies
Views
Back
Top Bottom