Question about Siemens CP443-5?

Nyman

Hi all!

I’m wondering about what the advantages is by using a "CP 443-5 Extended" for Profibus DP communication compared to using the DP port on a 416F-2DP CPU, especially when it’s combined with a Profibus diagnostic repeater (6ES7972-0AB01-0XA0). Our Siemens rep told us that we had to use the CP 443-5 card with firmware V6.1 to be able to determinate the bustopology with the diagnostic repeater (see link below), but I can’t find any info that says we wont be able to manage the same thing by using the DP port on the CPU.

Thanks in advance

/Nyman

http://support.automation.siemens.com/US/llisapi.dll/21556240?func=ll&objId=21556240&objAction=csView&lang=en&siteid=cseus&aktprim=0

I have done a project with an extensive use of ET200S stations.

I made some diagnostics pages for the Profibus DP net with the help from a sample project from Siemens (search previous threads if you are interested).
In this sample project there were a page for use with the diagnostic repeater (I didnt try it because we did not have the diagnostic repeater). So it looks like it is possible to use the onboard DP port in connection with the diagnostic repeater.

But if there are more expanded diagnostics available with the CP443-5 I do not know.

Hi Jesper,

Thanks for your reply. We are planning to use FB125 for Profibus diagnostic, which I think you are referring to? I have implemented that in one of our systems here, but like you I haven’t tried it with the diagnostics repeater, so don’t know how that works.

But if we don’t focus on the diagnostics repeater, do you, or anybody else for that matter, know of any reasons to use the CP 443-5 card instead of the DP port on the CPU? As far as I can se it’s not much difference? Or am I missing something?
Best regards
/Nyman