Omron CS1,CJ1 and Wonderware

Hey all. Ive a job coming up in which ive been given a choice of PLCS to use, the omron CS1 or the CJ1. I need to make these communicate with wonderware on a PC in the same panel. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on which plc to pick. Communicating with wonderware using wonderwares comms is a must (ie, no 3rd party comm drivers if possible). This is for a system with a couple heat zones, atmosphere control, and motion. Typically we use a SLC 5/05 with a 13 slot rack for this job, but are using customer supplied plc specs. Thanks in advance.

Matt

Basically, these are the same product, just different packaging. They will both communicate using Hostlink protocol, which I believe is supported by Wonderware.

CS1 is physically larger, and can use older C200H modules, rack based system.

CJ1 is a rackless system (modules lock together) and is roughly 1/3 the size of the CS1

They both use the same instruction set, have the same memory map, etc. CS1 max I/O around 5100, CJ1 around 2500.

Hope this will help.

Thanks, that helps alot. I guess then it will be a matter of price, as the panel has plenty of room. Which ones tend to be the cheaper line? Thanks again.

Matt

Cost is usually pretty close. CJ1 may run a little less due to no rack/backplane to purchase. May also depend on I/O module requirements. There is a larger selection of "special" I/O for the CS1 due to being around longer.

If just "standard" digital and analog, CJ1 should due the trick.

Talk to your customer and find out what I/O they actually need and see what special modules will have to be used.

If they said CJ or CS, you probably will be able to use the CJ. It definately is easier to mount, takes up less space and programs readily. If you do not have CX-Programmer now, definately get CX-ONE.

NOthing special, just ins and outs, AI and AOs, and some T/Cs.

I do have some omron software from a couple years back. There is some budget to buy software. Is the CX-One new? Is it much better than the old software?

Its looks like I have SYSWIN, which doesnt seem to be the right stuff. So, again, I take it that CX-ONE is better than programmer?

Syswin will not work in a CS OR CJ.

CX- Programmer is what you need to program the CJ or CS. The CJ will do what you mentioned.

CX-ONE is the latest software from OMRON and includes CX-Programmer 6.0 or possibly 6.1 as it was just released. When you order CX-ONE make sure you get V1.1 it is the latest and has CX-P V 6.1. You get a bundled package of OMRON software and access to documentation and the like.

Go to www.cx-one.com to check it out. Sorry I should have given you the link earlier.

Sweet, thanks. One more software package to add to my bookshelf. I think I may have every software known to man now after this one. It is nice being able to change PLCs all the time (experiance wise), but it sure makes it hard to use my AB library, and adds a lot of time to my dev. work. Thanks again for the info.

Matt

As Leadfoot indicated, you will need CX-One for the CS/CJ products. Make sure you talk to your Omron distributor. There is "upgrade" pricing available from your Syswin package.

The "look and feel" of CX-One is different than Syswin, but more along the lines of your Rockwell software. You will want to get the W340 Programming manual for your project. It covers the instruction set.

Good Luck!!

CX-One also has FB capability now, this can only be used with the CJ1 V3 processor I think, could be useful for any math that you may have to do.

scottmurphy said:
CX-One also has FB capability now, this can only be used with the CJ1 V3 processor I think, could be useful for any math that you may have to do.

Quite (but not quite) right Scott ;) , FBs are supported for any v3.0 processors - CS as well as CJ series.
B.T.W. CX-One is the 'generic' name for Omrons software bundle (i.e. anything 'Omron' that can be programmed / monitored / set via a PC is included with CX-One).
This should not be confused with CX-Programmer (the PLC programming software), which is included as part of the CX-One installation.

CX-Programmer v6.1 is included with CX-One v1.1
Have fun - it's a great bit of kit.

allow me please to be in

Dear all,

please see the image i attached in.

i have the 3 PLC (Omron)in separate areas and i want to link them to a Wonderware In Touch

for each one I have a free serial port which is connected to a gateway. from each gate way we have Ethernet port going to the On Board LAN in the Server.

my question is;

is the Gate way am using is the right option. i really need helps in this.

thanks
moz-screenshot.png
moz-screenshot-1.png

nw.jpg

If you want to wait about 10 seconds for a response use serial.
I would definately not use serial - Controller Link, Ethernet IP.

If you want to wait about 10 seconds for a response use serial.
I would definately not use serial - Controller Link, Ethernet IP.

thanks,

do you mean for each signal, it will take 10 second to be display in SCADA? for example the change in button color

can you explain me more please and how did you calculated about 10s

please advise me.

thanks

Years ago 9 x Omron PLCs on a job - 9 x separate serial connections from a multi RS422 board in the computer - 9 x 4 wire RS422 runs - 2500 tags - 10-12 second delay per read point into the computer.
Serial connections all running @ 19.2 kbaud.
Serial is way to slow - do not be cheap.
Use Ethernet IP or Controller Link if you want a fast response time.