RSLogix5000 IO Configuration for Remote Data Sharing

fwagner5

I came across this today, for communicating from like a CompactLogix processor to a ControlLogix processor using ethernet that you can have one as a parent communication module and the other would be child communication module and using the producer/consumer platform to communicate. My problem is that what is the best way to know if there is an error in the communication between the two? I was told that communicating a heartbeat between the two processors. If that is the case, I'm looking for a good example of this type of program. I know that you can use like the system clock but not really sure what it would look like. Any help would be appreciated.

Do a GSV instruction

Class - "MODULE"
Instance - the name of your module
Attribute - FaultCode
Destination - tag with type of DINT

Look as CIP error codes in the RsLogix 5000 help for description of the error codes. These are the same as messaging error codes but there are some additional ones. If the code is zero there is no error.