Alarms in RSLogix

iansmiler

Hi all, I am interested to see how different programmers do they're alarm handling routines. I have worked at 5 different companies as a programmer and all of them have wanted the alarms doing differently! At my new employment I am required to come up with a standard protocol for doing the alarm handling routines and obviously I want to come up with the best way! so mail me some code or just stick it up here on the message board, I'll be interested to see how many different ways people are doing it!

I guess the question is what do you wish to do with your alarms? I have routines for alarms that need to be acknowledged, auto acknowledged after a time delay set from a touch screen, need reseting from a pushbutton,need reseting from a touch screen, auto resetting etc etc. What is the requirement?

AS you mentioned, there are a lot of ways to do alarms. For me the tough one was to do it in a FIFO method. This customer have different requirments, apart from Alarm banner and Alarm History they want

1. Do not reset multiple alarms in one go
2. They must display out in FIFO, and reset only those displays out.

FIFO- means first in first out, so if you have multiple or cascading alarms the first incident will be reported, and all others will be put to the way side,as you want to know what the initial cause of the alarm was in the first place.

Makes sense, have you got an example of the code forthis type of system? I break my alarms down into groups (arrays) and if the array register doesn't equal 0 then it alarms, I suppose this is an FIFO system because its the HMI that sorts out the alrms into an order so the first alarm to activate will be the first alarm on th HMI

Hi Sorry,

I was away for a couple of days.

Attached is the sample I did. I know this is not a perfect one. Somebody here may be able to shed some light to make it more efficient.

But it works.

My PV alarm banner tag is set as N10:0 the first address in FIFO. Ladder 3 & 4 controls the alarms. This is just a sample. You have to do your own logic to enable the alarms - B3:6/0 thru B3:6/4. So when ever an alarm is triggered the respective Interger is loaded into the file N10:0 thru N10:29. My FIFO buffer is set as 30. It is also user definable, change it if your machine can generate more than 30 alarms at once.

Regards