Virtual Company/ Virtual Project Execution

arc

Hi,

General Thought if it is possible to build a Virtual Company or a "Virtual Project Group" that can execute Projects or coordinate people here (PLCTALK) to do a project any where in the world in Automation Industry, may be also execution based on location.

What sort of standards should be set and what could be a best way to build and coordinate such projects.

What should be the costing set for such Job works.

I hope this is not a very wild thought.

Please comment, and hope some smart person can do it successfully eventually.

----
Arc

Hi,
your idea is not bad, but I think the problem is that all the participians of the project must be reliable. You wouldn't get a project if your virtual company is not reliable, and also I suppose that you wouldn't signature any project with your name if you wasn't sure that your "virtual" emploees will do it for you. Otherwise you must pay a fee if it is not completed in time.

So I think it's not so easy to establish such a virtual company, especially in field automatisation. But from the other hand if you somehow manage to get one project you can probably get more:).

As I usually don't like easy things I would try with you to open such a "virtual" company :)

An intriguing idea.

Several problems I see is TRUSTING others code and, importantly, what is the payback for those involved?

Most/all the people here work for a living and that requires $$$.

Not everyone works with the same PLC brand, uses the same software on that brand.
It would be next to impossible to set up a PID or tune a servo drive without being on-site.

Also, persons who have their favorite chunks of proven code that they spent a LOT of time refining would not want that code posted for ALL to see and use. It's a matter of economics.

I for one don't give away my 'Magic', that's why I can charge up to $100 per hour. Would you do the same?

Another thing is no two people code the same way, and we all know how useless commitee efforts are, the final product becomes the lowest common denominator of the group's individuals.

So I guess my answer is - - - - NO, it won't work. It would be nice if it did. It does work sometimes for high-level science.

Rod (The CNC Dude)

I don't know that it won't work, but it probably won't... To pull this off you would really need to have a group of programmers that had previously worked together closely for a number of years. After a few years your co-workers don't really have to be in the same geographic location.

Rube said:
I think we've started that premise with our "Smoke and Mirrors" company.

Time to buy more "Resident Smoke" stocks.

For mirrors, how about one of those rotating "DISCO" balls?

regards.....kc

Smoke and mirrors worked well for "Jeffy". and Tony has given it a go twice now. Now that a lot of old timers are retiring, the next few years will be interesting. I can forsee a "Winston" Cup championship for Mark Martin. And probably not a lot of "engine checks". Something like the Richard Petty 200th win. Junior will no doubt be back up in the top ten, and Mike Waltrip, well, 23-25 no doubt.

Whatever happened to Brooke???

The Writers are betting on Stewart for back-to-back Cups but it' way too early for me to venture a guess about anything Nascar. Fusions need more speed on the 1.5s and Dodges need more restrictor plate speed but who's sand-bagging? EVERYBODY! Should be a good season for Roush, we'll see. Casey why don't you come on down to my Daytona party? We'll save you a spot.

Phil can we do this here !!

1. Dear Phill, one request, can we have a Roll down Hyper link on such a page? What I would like to have is under each such hyper link (which would be a point of discussion instead of starting a new thread for each such talk under a same broader classification). We have a roll down page where each person can put in their views for that section of the discussion instead of having scattered general views on all points. Not loosing the focus of each point.
  2. I know for sure there will be a lot of pessimism but would not like to give up on this Virtual Team.
  3. For sure starting something radical will never be easy, so I would like all to bring out all possible problems out in open- Point wise heading (Bullets and numbering system).
  4. We then do the brainstorming under each point; everyone can put the worst-case senior for each point. I would expect the worst pessimistic opinion under each point or heading, without being shy and making sure that we try to look for the best possible answers to it POINT WISE.
  5. If such a thing succeeds I am sure all automation people will be happy to work for a True Multinational having no Geographical boundaries, No race, No color distinction, no religious conflicts, no cast or creed, And sure here the customer will be happy to have a best solution, Only it has to work.
    icon5.gif
  6. FOR SURE NOT AN EASY TASK BUT!! NO TRUE AUTOMATION MAN LIKES EASY JOB, WE MAKE THINGS TO WORK AND MOVE AS WE LIKE THEM TO.
  7. THEN WHY SHOULD WE NOT BE ABLE TO MOVE INDEPENDENTLY AS A FREE GROUP ( TEAM WORK WITH FREE TIME AND YOUR OWN TIME)??
  8. I am sure many organized company will not be too happy to see such a company come up but hey, NO PAIN NO GAIN!!
  9. BREAK YOUR BONDAGE AND BE FREE so please we try to fight out this and it is for our freedom!! LOL!!, It took 40 years for mosses to reach his destination, With internet may be he could have been faster FOR freedom.
    icon12.gif

10. Here each of us can take the small burden and see if we can walk this journey!!
-----
Arc

arc,

your idea is a real gem, but unfortunately it won't work. There are several reasons to it. I have the experience with the European Vocational Training Association, a network of companies and government institutions dealing with vocational training and/or job mediation. I have been working real hard to set up a virtual community for a single purpose: sharing (not giving away) already available knowledge. The goal was for every member organisation to put one already available course on industrial automation in to a fund for sharing. With the now present 15 members this would mean: give one course away and get 14 other courses back in return. No money involved! What's the result after 2 years: only 9 courses are put in the fund, all from my own organisation (we had to set the example).

When it comes to payed work the situation is even more complex. Images a customer bringing a project in. He doesn't know who will be programming the darn thing. But he does know that programmer from western Europe or North America will cost him a lot more than someone from the Far East. Guess what he will demand?

A global virtual community set up to provide people a living will, in my view, not work until we have a globally set equal pay for all world population. And that's utopia for now.

Kind regards,

Jean Pierre's last point is the one that I see as the real killer...

What I expect (and need) to be paid for my time is way different than others; compare it to one guy and it will look like I work for nothing, compare it to another and it will look like I'm filthy rich.