PLC as an academic research.

Albeel

Dear all
I am a master degree student in automation school, I am thinking to make my research in PLC subject,
I am looking for a good point for programmable logic controller in order to do my study about it.
If anyone can help me I will be grateful.

Last edited:
15 years ago they took a 190 ton mining truck, complete with the 10' high tires, and converted it to computer control. There was a small LCD disply screen , a menu button, a select button, and scroll up and down. A key switch and turn signal, and brake light switch were all the external no sensor inputs. To turn the parking lamps or heads on, you had to scroll and select, same with the heater, AC, wipers, dump the load, etc. Turn signal and brake lites went through the unit, also. It was set up with a data line for the outputs to remote custom 4 output DCS cards.

Over a million was spent on this over several years. The project manager and head engineer was a friend friend of mine (in fact, best man at my wedding). I told him in front of his boss that I could do that with a plc in six months, including programming, for under S100,000.00.

Boy did he get mad.

Antway, you could take something like this, or a locomotive, or some other big maching, and convert it to PLC control, perhaps adding a fully automatic mode, like for a subway train, complete with automatic door openers.

Or a PLC controlled automatic lane toll plaza, with coin box totalizing.

Almost anything you see, can be a plc project.

Perhaps a satelitte antenna tracking controller for a non sychronus bird.....

Last edited:
Albeel said:
Dear all
I am a master degree student in automation school, I am thinking to make my research in PLC subject,
I am looking for a good point for programmable logic controller in order to do my study about it.

Are you looking for a brand of PLC to use, or a task to program?
If you want a task, and you are in China (not studying overseas), then arrange a tour on an industrial site, and pick something which is done manually to automate. If not in China, you can still do the same thing. The only thing you may have to watch out for is if your masters degree research has to be completely new. If so, you may have a bit of difficulty, since many tasks and problems have already been solved, and you may have to search hard for an un-solved problem to get your degree.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your reply

Firstly I have researched long time about PLC to select my project what i want to do.

I found some papers but no one as academic research.

I asked some friends to advise me about that, they said "the PLC subject is good as an industrial research but it is not good as an academic research" why? I don't know.

I think, we need do like that research.

I have another question,

Is there any relationship between Fuzzy control and PLC? If there is, what is it?

With my best regards.

As far as PLCs & academics go the only topic I can think of would be the economic impact PLCs have had on productivity, or "Engineering Economics". Few people realize that PLCs have had some type of impact on just about evey facat of the world ecomomey.

The term "Fuzzy Logic" seem to mean different things to different people, but suffice it to say Fuzzy is an attempt at a more intelligent control that could provide variaing results, based on previously unknown variaing input paramaters...Hence the word "Fuzzy".

PLCs are primarily designed to provide absolute known results from absolute known input paramaters. (Boolian logic). At this time, there are few PLC CPUs that have the instruction set & enough memory to effectivly implement a true "fuzzy logic" application program.

elevmike said:
At this time, there are few PLC CPUs that have the instruction set & enough memory to effectivly implement a true "fuzzy logic" application program.

Hello Albeel;
Siemens S7 PLCs have an add-on library (translated: you must buy it) for Fuzzy logic control; they also have meural network software add-ons, if you are interested in amore flexible, pattern-learning system.

Use the following link to download a manual for fuzzy control on S7 PLCs, along with some white papers on the subject.

http://support.automation.siemens.com/WW/llisapi.dll?query=Fuzzy+logic&func=cslib.cssearch&content=skm%2Fmain.asp&lang=en&siteid=cseus&objaction=cssearch&searchinprim=&nodeid99=

Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

dchartier said:
Hello Albeel;
Siemens S7 PLCs have an add-on library (translated: you must buy it) for Fuzzy logic control; they also have meural network software add-ons, if you are interested in amore flexible, pattern-learning system.

Use the following link to download a manual for fuzzy control on S7 PLCs, along with some white papers on the subject.

http://support.automation.siemens.com/WW/llisapi.dll?query=Fuzzy+logic&func=cslib.cssearch&content=skm%2Fmain.asp&lang=en&siteid=cseus&objaction=cssearch&searchinprim=&nodeid99=

Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

thank u very much

Albeel said:
Dear all

Hello Albeel,

I have not worked with fuzzy logic. I do teach though, and I require my students (2 year tech college) to write a research paper on various PLC topics. This is the first semester that I have required these papers. I have seen some good ideas already:

Entertainment business (roller coasters and other rides)

Food processing- High volume

High Speed small parts assembly

Wood Products of many types (local industry)

Safety concerns for PLC controlled systems

Human to machine interface.

Omron have a fuzzy logic card available for some PLCs. It is used in conjunction with analogue input and output cards normally. I have seen this combination used for cancelling "load swing" on a container crane.