This has nothing to do with PLCs per se!

randylud

However, if there are any of the members or non-members out there that are still using dial-up ISPs, there is hope. Besides the obvious choices of RoadRunner and DSL and the like, I just got the newest kid on the block. It is called Clearwire and friends, it is just about the best thing since sliced bread. You can check out their web site at www.clearwire.com and see if is available in your area. They are not in every city and town yet, but they are here in Greensboro, or at least in most of it. The technology is wireless, meaning nothing for your computer to be tired to, other than the wireless modem you rent from them for $4/mo. It works much like a cell phone but does not use existing cell phone systems, it is its own standalone service. You will not believe how simple and reliable it is, unless you have been tied to a phone line like I have been forever. I am so excited about having it I know I must sound like a company rep, but I assure you I am not. I just like to spread good news when there is some and this is definitely is good news.

Is this a variation of dial-up, similiar baud rates, etc?

After I moved, I tried dial-up for a while, and gave up. A little secret - the "accelerator" technology they all keep hyping? Bogus tech.

The fact is, when I had dial-up 6 years ago, I could download at speeds of 5-6 kbps. Today, top speed is 2 kbps, usually less. This is owing to the increased traffic on the networks.

Long story short - if the dial-up bunch did not add "accelerator" (really text compression) technology, they would not be in business anymore. Throughput is so horrible now, all the bandwidth gone, that compression is the only way to maintain a pretense of usability.

I gave up and got cable...

TM

Tim, this is so far from dial-up as to be in another galaxy. I have 1.5mbs service and it is screaming fast. Dial-up and the accelerator technology is about to become a thing of the past. This service is on all the time and ready for you to hit the net!

NICE find Randy
icon14.gif
Wireless is the way to go.....

We have a similar system in Sydney, Ozz. They are called Unwired or something. Not real good for reception though. Anyone I know that has it has to walk around with the laptop and modem to find a signal in a lot of places. Can only get better.

My step daughter lives in mid Queensland and our main telco here Telstra have a wireless service where she lives. She tells me it is great. Slower speed than mentioned though. Knowing them they will charge a higher price for the higher speed until there is some opposition.

Not available in Ft. Worth.

Maybe if I just upped the signal power on my Blue Tooth or Airport devices I could use someone elses. :mad:

My brother lives in the boonies near here and has rotten old LONG phone lines. He went with a satelite system, a hugh 6' dish in his yard - slow output but 'blink' and all info in. Wierd

Rod

Hello Randy,

Its been years sense I've been to G'boro, and I still miss the golf courses up there. :)

Thanks for the tip. Its not in this area yet, but I sure hope it makes it to the boonies soon. I have no choice at home. its Dial up plain and simple. No choices. Cable stops about a mile from the house. I did a lot of support work for the cable company, and couldn't beg them into a few thousand feet of cable.

Wireless internet is available in a lot of places. Check these guys out if you want any of the in-depth technical stuff:
http://www.trangobroadband.com/

Usually wireless is deployed by small local or regional ISPs. Try a phonebook to see what is available around you.

A local ISP started doing wireless broadband here about 5-6 years ago using 802.11b equipment. It worked ok, but it wasn't great once they had a few customers (I was customer #6 on the wireless). When they switched the the Trango equipment things got a lot better.
http://www.door.net

Be aware that rain, snow, high wind, fog, and ice will all affect your connection when using wireless broadband (even good equipment).

Eventually the local ISP got bought by Valor Telecom and over the course of about a year their network went from decent to way overloaded and not reliable at all.

Now I have fiber from another local company and LOVE it! I get 8 Mbps up and down and what's even better is I actually get 8 Mbps to most sites. Now if they'd just get it available at the shop...
http://www.ntscom.com/residential_fiber.php?id=smenu3

For those here in KY, the Gov'ner has mandated that broadband access will be in ever home and business by 2007...either by wire, fibre, cable, or wireless. Right now I can only get dial up @<25kb at the house, so I have put in an application (invitation?) for them to put a wireless tower on my farm as part of this system. I'll keep you all posted how this all shakes out!

David:site: :cool: