SLC500 Address Confusion

glaverty

I am working with a PV550 and an SLC 5/02 on a machine that I have been asked to make some changes to.

The address's in the Panelview are written in the form B3/58, B3/59 etc.

So I make the assumption that B3/58 = B3:3/10 which as it turns out is correct. However if you do a search for B3/58 in RSlogix it looks for B3:4/10. Why do they do this? It's zero based in the panelview but in RSLogix they skip B3:0/0 through B3:0/15 and start at B3:1/0.

This is my first project with RSLogix so to some of you this may be a known thing and for others it might be something new. Just thought I would throw it out there to see if anyone has a reason for it.

Guys follow these instructions to change your View properties

1 Select View > Properties to get the Options window.
Make sure you have a program file window opened and active (click cursor in the ladder window) or you will not see Properties listed in the View menu
2 Click the Address Display tab.
3 Make the selections that determine how your ladder logic will look on the screen display. These are described below.
4 Click OK to accept your selections.

This is the field you need to change your B Bit displays

Binary Bit Display Mode

Select /Bit to display a binary bit address by bit only, for example B3/33. Click Word/Bit to display the same address by word and bit, for example B3:2/1.

glaverty,

i've never heard of this happening before - and i DON'T doubt that you're seeing it now - but could you please go into a little more detail and tell us exactly what you're typing - and exactly where you're typing it - and exactly what you're clicking next - and exactly what happens on the screen? - i'd like to track this down - if i understand your description of the problem, then it's got to be a bug - but if it's a bug, then i'm amazed that no one has reported it before - and the search feature is working just fine on my machine -

thanks

More Confused

Sure thing Ron.

I am using RSLogix 500 Version 5.50.00.

I have a file open, I go to Search > Find and type in B3/0 and click Find All the little window pops up showing the results.

These are the results: B3/0 in File 2 Rung 2 XIC B3:1/0

It is the same file that i posted here http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1487 Its the one labeled "Sequencer1.zip"I just downloaded it, opened it and it does what I am describing. Try opening it and putting in the search and see what you get.

I also checked a file that Timothy Moulder uploaded a while back and it DOES NOT have the problem so it looks like it might be something with the file not RSLogix.

the problem is that a symbol (shown in green) has been defined for B3:1/0 - the symbol is B3/0 - i'm having a little trouble getting rid of said symbol - i'll let you know when i've got it -

incidentally. symbol = nickname for an address (a documentation feature)

It looks like RSLogix won't let you get rid of the symbol in ladder view.

You need to go to the Address/Symbol Database (on the bottom of the Project Tree) and delete it from there.

Once it's gone, B3/0 is searched for normally.

Ok Ron I got it figured out I deleted the symbol and that fixed the offset problem.

To delete it I went to the Project tree and double clicked Address/Symbol. Scrolled down to the one address that had a symbol and deleted it. Now when I do a search for B3/0 it looks for B3:0/0

Thanks for the Help

incidentally, B3:1/0 isn't the only one that's messed up - go to the B3 datatable and scroll along the B3:1 word - watch the symbol entry line near the bottom of the window -

anyway - the problem was that the search engine wasn't finding B3/0 in your program AS AN ADDRESS so it automatically searched for B3/0 as TEXT - and thus found the symbol -

you might find this enlightening -

http://www.software.rockwell.com/forum/rslogix/messageview.cfm?catid=9&threadid=3891

thanks to meadboba on another forum

Last edited:
Right but it did more than just that it offset all of the addresses for instance if you put in B3/58 it would look for B3:4/10 instead of B3:3/10.