Screen password protection on PanelView Plus

tspisak

I need to password protect the system config/shutdown screen on a PanelView Plus project (v4.0). The whole RSAssetSecurity looks WAY to complicated for what little I need. Is this my only option? How do I add accounts and get this monster working?

The way I have done it is to have a number sequence as the login password. When it is entered send it to the PLC and compare it to the true password. Instead of using the GoTo button, use a button to momentarily send a bit to the PLC requesting to go to that screen. If the password compare is true and the request to open the protected window is true then move password protected screen number into a register mapped into the remote display number parameter of the PanelView (found under global parameters). The password protected screen will need to have a unique screen number. I reset the remote screen number to zero a second after writing to it.

I agree with the asset security comment...to hairy...

I have used jtn's method with the Panelviews and the Plus's. Works fine and simple to setup.

The way i got around this, is to open the "User Accounts" then select the "RSview 3.x accounts". Setup your username and passwords, then select "RSview 4 accounts. Select "Setup" from the top title bar and then use "Migrate 3.x user accounts". Then you can use the security on your screen as you would have before.

Brijacq

Last edited:
Can you create a push button which takes the user to the Config Screen? But only make the push button visible if you login with the correct password.

Ker25 said:
Can you create a push button which takes the user to the Config Screen? But only make the push button visible if you login with the correct password.

Yes, the PV+ can do this.

Another way I've seen is to tie the visibility of the GOTO CONFIG MENU button in to a key switch that is inside the panel that is used for unrestrictive manual mode, i.e. all permissives for manual movement are ignored. Sometimes its needed for maintenance. You could do the same with a unused input and jump power to it when you want to get to the config menu.

phil buchanan said:
jtn

can you post an example of this code this is what i need to do

thanks

I have a similiar method of using my own Login procedures. A password is entered, and compared with a value stored in the PLC. I have two passwords, one for Maintenance and one for QC. Based on which password entered a plc based tag is set to TRUE.

This tag can then be used for visibilty of a GOTO BUTTON on the PV+ display. The visibility can be applied to the GOTO CONFIG screen.

Ian