Radioactive gauge

Alex Pel

Hello everybody. We have an Eurotherm (EGS) gauge. It controlled by Compaq Alpha server under “Open VMS” operational system. Honestly it rather closed then open system. Our electrical super who had training can only do PM. If it stopped the company calls EGS tech. Last time the system was down about 2 months. I just wandering If anyone heard about that type of system? I have a dilemma:

• Learn this to be able to fix it;
  • Leave it like it is and learn something else more standard.
This system has Ethernet between Console and Frame. Frame itself has DH-485. It might be a way to get an access to internal data. I would at least make backup of hard drive and at most wrote the interface program in order to replace a dinosaur with a standard Windows PC.

Any consideration is highly appreciated.