what is a PC/PPI Cable??

jaichains

Hi All

I have a Siemens S7-224XP CPU (yet to arrive) and programming through Step 7 Micro.

When i go into communication area, the package shows a communication module of PC/PPI(COM 1) and Protocol PPI??

I have just heard of Profibus/MPI type communication. Could someone explain me about PC/PPI cables? Thx.

Hi,

For communication between PLC to PC you require PC/PPI cable which convertes PLC program (instructions ) to understand PC, RS 232 Com Port.
I understand it's converter.
Bye.
Riyazahmad.

The difference between PPI and MPI is mainly the speed. Both interfaces use RS485 as electrical standard. PPI used to be limited to 19200 baud and as such was not very practical te be used with many stations, hence the name PPI or Point-to-Point-Interface.

MPI or Multi-Point-Interface works at 187.5 kbaud and thus is more suited for multiple connections.

Because the serial port of a PC is not suited for operation at 187.5 kbaud, there's a little more to the PC/MPI converter than simply conversion from one electrical standard to another. For PC/PPI conversion on the other hand you can use a simple data driven RS232/485 converter. But don't be disappointed if Siemens doesn't help you in case of communication problems if you don't use their interfaces.

And befor I forget the most important issue: PPI is used with S7-200 and MPI with S7-300/400, which are two entirely different PLC families.

Kind regards,

Last edited:
about pc-ppı cable

Hi ;
ı am turkish, my english not very good. so ı am sory...

if you want to communication with s7200, you must some configration on you pc.

firstly, microwin will be install.

secondly, microwin has got "pg-pc interface" on your pc in control panel,

and than "mpı properties adjust"

address : 0
time : 10s
baut rate : 9.6 kbps
address : 31

"com properties adjust:" : com1

ı hope this informatins help for you

control sytems technician

Last edited:
"And befor I forget the most important issue: PPI is used with S7-200 and MPI with S7-300/400, which are two entirely different PLC families.

Kind regards,[/QUOTE]"

Dear Mr.Cande,

1.I need to merely upload from S7 200 and 300 to PC for purposes of testing and periodic backup. Can I use a simple RS485/232 converter for both the S7 PLCs? Will the S7 200 basic software be suffcent or is it necc. to use the S7 300 software for the upload, save and print?

2. What is the diference between the MPI convertor and the 232 / 485 converter?

Regds
Paul

Rs232-mpi

"And befor I forget the most important issue: PPI is used with S7-200 and MPI with S7-300/400, which are two entirely different PLC families."

Dear Mr.Cande,
I know I'm quite late on this thread, but would appreciate your help. I need to upload from S7 200 and 300 to PC for testing and back up. Is a simple RS485/232 converter sufficient or should I use a PPI or MPI converter and cable?

2. Where can I get some details on PPI/MPI circuitry and functionality?
3.What's the difference between the MPI and the 485 converters?
Regds
Paul

Yes, you are 17 months late.
You should use the MPI converter and cable.
The new S7-200 also accept a MPI connection.

Best solution is to obtain a RS232/MPI or USB/MPI converter. The newer ones can communicate on both PPI as well as on MPI protocols. As mentioned by nonuke, the newer S7-22X also accept MPI communications, but only if you configure them first. Out-of-the-box S7-200 is preconfigured for PPI 9600 baud only, so you will always need PPI too.

RS323/PPI converters are relatively simple, because these are simple data-driven RS232 to RS485 converters. In fact I have even used these in combination with Allen-Bradley PLCs on a DH485 network.

MPI is something completely different. These converters contain a microprocessor (it's a 80C32 in my RS232/MPI converters and a large Infineon chip in my USB/MPI converters), so there's at least some processing done inside.

Kind regards,

Dear jvdcande!
If i use schematic USB-RS485 convert then i conect with PLC S7_300 with baud less 19200 ? if not,you can send me schematic conect from USB to PLC S6_300 ?Thanks vere much!!!