SLC program

Keldog

One of the companies we do PLC work for i got a copy of there program but there is not one descriptor for anything, and i'm thinking since there never was descriptors put in the program that it is impossible to retrive them with out the drawings from the plant itself. Am i right in saying this?????

In RSlogix500 the Descriptions are part of the software and not kept in the PLC processor.

If you just upload the logic from the processor there will be no descriptions or comments.

You need a copy of the saved rs logix (.rss) file that already includes the descriptions without it you would need to identify each point in the logic manually.
Sorry

our entire plant didn't have the first back-up of plc programs on disc, only on the old laptop. When it crashed, I spent 3 months going through each set of prints & 'redocumenting' all programs with comments, etc.

with the amount of memory in the AB processors, it seems like there should be a way of storing the comments in the plc...

Yeah i would of thought so too. There is no .RSS file i looked so i guess i have to go through all the drawings. Thanks for the help guys i appriciate it.

I recently went on a GEFanuc PLC/HMI integrators course and with their new PAC PLC system you can upload all comments and descriptors from the PLC...you can also save prints and documents in the PLC (thats what the salepeople told me, maybe its true maybe not)

One disadvantage to downloading the comments is different languages. I have done several jobs that went to non english speaking customers so I had a version of the descriptions for their language and English.

Also many people will have a developer description file and a customer description file. The developer one will have many notes and reminders for when a customer calls later down the road to refresh his memory on what the project was. The customer on just has general descriptions

with the amount of memory in the AB processors, it seems like there should be a way of storing the comments in the plc...

Comments are saved to the controller in the ControlLogix/FlexLogix line of controllers.

Most SLCs however don't have the memory to store the comments.

Keldog said:
Yeah i would of thought so too. There is no .RSS file i looked so i guess i have to go through all the drawings. Thanks for the help guys i appriciate it.

Keldog...

If the file is not a .RSS file then I assume its a .ACH file. If so then look and see if there are any .ADR, .DSC, .RPS, .SYM, or SY5 files. If any of these files exist then all is not lost and its possible to import the symbols and comments and create a .RSS file.

This technote descirbes the older file extensions and what they do.

http://domino.automation.rockwell.com/applications/kb/RAKB.nsf/0/C8ED87D4F0E48A4C85256AFB0058E275?OpenDocument

Alaric said:
Comments are saved to the controller in the ControlLogix/FlexLogix line of controllers.

Most SLCs however don't have the memory to store the comments.

What version of ControlLogix are you referring too? The only place I am aware that comments get stored is in the structured text programs. In ladder and the other program types it is only in the offline files (this includes comments in the tag database). I have heard many times they were going to add that option for processors that had compact flash cards installed, but the last I heard the earliest this would show up is with V16, possibly not until V17.

Darren

Comments are not stored in CLX's that I am aware of either.

Through careful use of UDT's and creative tag names I manage to get pretty good documentation that is stored in the plc.

But, if you use actual rung and tag comments they are stored on your pc not in the plc. I am running Version 15.

RSL

I'm also running V15 and the comments stay on the PC. When I first heard about the CLX line from an AB rep prior to its release they were talking about storing comments on the PLC. As far as I know we are still waiting. It doesn't really surprise me, I guess. Early in the CLX lifecycle Rockwell was changing firmware versions like most people change underwear. All they needed at that time was to add another variable to the mix.

I'm sure it will arrive some day. I'm just not real sure when.

Keith

I added the descriptors to the program now when i download the program into the processor my boss seems to think that the descriptors will not load. Why would this be??