Permanent Magner AC Motor with POwerflex700

JamesWSY

Hi all..
I have the conveyor application using relienace electric 3 HP permanent magnet motor and I want to control the motor speed using PowerFlex700S (5 HP). How to tune the Powerflex for PM motor? ANy idea or tips?
Thank you.
James

Hm, as far as I know, a permanent magnet motors are part of DC (direct current) family. The PowerFlex700 drive controls AC motors. I'm not sure you may control PM motor with PowerFlex drive. Better shop for DC drive.
Regards,
Val

This AC permanent magnet motor, with 460 VAC, 3HP, 1800 RPM, 4.3Amps. The existing speed control is Reliance GP2000. This drive is absolute and we want to replace it using PowerFlex 7000.
James

Are you sure that motor is permanent magnet one? Becouse I don't understand how it would be possible to control PM motor with AC drive. AC drive creates 3 phase rotating magnetic field in the motor's stator. Becouse of that, a rotor starts to speen. I don't really understand how a permanent magnet and an AC drives can mix together.
Regards,
Val

Synchronous AC motors often use permanent magnets, until they get large enough to require a seperate supply.

I don't know how the PFlex handles synchronous motors, but unless there is something about it in the manual, I'd call Rockwell. The standard 'motor model' calculations will not work optimally.

You can select Option 2 "Synchr PM" in Parameter 40, "Motor Type". It will also require selecting 2, "Custom V/Hz" in Parameter 53. I have never used a PM motor with an AC drive, so I'm not sure about the tuning.

The GP2000 drive was V/Hz only and linear ratio also. Unless you want to add performance to what you had with the GP2000, I'd set the new drive up for scalar V/Hz and constant V/Hz ratio and see what happens.

If that isn't suitable, a call for technical help would be in order