This question is for the drive guy's

ALVIN DAVIS

I am having a new problem going on line with the Yaskawa drives (f-7's)using the latest Drive wiz software and was wondering if any of you folks have ran into it. The error states "drive failed KVA and software check" I have contacted Yaskawa but the guru at large told me he doesn't have a clue. I have also contacted my ole buds at the drive store ( most application engineers ) they have not encountered this error either. My OS is both one machine running 2000 pro and XP
Thanks in advance
Lynn

If the error is posted on the Drive...

...and if the Drive SW provides for a test-run function (as in developing an operating profile)...

...and the actual test-run characteristics results fall short of the declared basic motor characteristics... then I should expect that the you might receive such a message.

If the error is posted on the HMI... it could come from anywhere, for any reason, logical or not. Only the original programmer knows for sure!

Thanks Terry
I think it a setting in my pc OS , Our VP of eng. has no problem going online. But then again he doesn't have to keep all the software for the older stuff on his machine just the new stuff he springs on me. LOL
Lynn

Alvin...

If you are a rookie then you would do well to talk to the "engineer" and find out where his mind is.

If you are not a rookie, and you really have a sense of what's going on, and... if perhaps... the "engineer" is a rookie... you are screwed unless, and until, you can find a way to lock him out!

Time for a reality check... do ya think?

I've delt with VPs of Engineering in smaller companies... they can be among the worst to deal with... especially if they aren't really "control savy".

But then again, I've delt with some that taught me a thing or two.

But... I gotta say... in my memories, the bad one far over-shadow the good ones! That is... the bad ones where sooooo bad! The good ones where only pretty good... better than me at the time... but, looking back, they were only so-so.

Okay... Just an off-the-wall thingy...
Do you use any PLC programming software on the machines? Forefront in my mind is Rockwell, Siemens, or NAIS ? All of them have the potential to take ownership of COM ports on boot up, and will interfere with anything else that tries to access a COM port.

I have yaskawa, omron and idm versions of drive wizard. IMO they all are a big pia. My index finger can program a drive much faster and easier.

Your fault appears to be you have the wrong drive KVA size entered and you must get it set right before you can do anything else.

Get into the AO constants and do the factory default. Make sure you have the correct com port selected on your laptop. I have found S7 can at times hog the com port and prevent you from useing the port. If this is so, go into msconfig and uncheck all step 7 items and reboot your computer. Then you should be able to use the port unrestricted.

OH yeah, are you using the adaptor plug between your serial port and the cat 5 cable? If not your enet port is junk.

Thanks all. I must have not been clear when I wrote the problem. Only when I try to upload from the drive( you plug in the cable you click the conect icon. there is no choice to correct the kva settings)It just gives the error. and the Yaskawa Eng. well yes he could have been a young buck with little exp. but remember we were all young once.

Have you tried connecting your keypad using the cable you are trying to use to your laptop? I have played with several cables before getting on to work every time with the keypad.

And you boss connects each time OK???? What are your communications settings?

Thanks Leadfoot
We used the same cable. I have a new systen coming through the shop this week. I will have another chance to check more on the problem. When I get it figured out i'll let everyone know my findings. I use the software as file back up so when a customer calles in for a replacement I can dpwnload it and send it ready to run.
I don't think I told anyone but the company I work for builds custom equipment. Me. I have been doing this stuff for 28 years and feel every day of it. LOL