PhaseManager

dash

Lifetime Supporting Member
Has anyone done a complete program using the PhaseManger that is built in to Version 15 of ControlLogix?

I have read the manual (more than once) and on the one hand I like what they are trying to get at, but the implementation still looks clunky (as in not that far progressed beyond phase logic interface, PLI).

If you have used the PhaseManager, did your implementation end up looking like the manual or did you deviate to make it easier to follow. Also, did you come up with some good standards to follow For example:

1. equipment naming/location (periodic task or program located under continuous task)

2. phase naming/location (same issue as above)

Anyway it would be nice for someone to share what has worked or not.

Thanks,

Darren

Bump...

After looking on the site for S88 and PhaseMangager, it appears that Allen Nelson does quite a bit of that type work using PLC5. Allen, if you are around have you looked at the ControlLogix and the Phase Manager portion that has been added?

Darren

I've looked at it briefly. It seems quite useful, but I already have a generic technique that I've created in ladder that offers the almost identical functionality....but with the advantage that I can use it in a common subroutine and pass multiple objects to it.

If for example I have 20 pumps, they all get handled by one common piece of code, whereas with this PLI method I suspect that each pump would have to have it's own explicit Phase Manager. I may be wrong on this...it's something I'll have to checkout.

I think that you could use their stuff, just you may have to separate it in such a way that it does not follow their(A-B) concept. All of the examples I have seen would be close to what I think you may envision, but really I do not see why you could not separate the code differently. The phase would need to be able to take a selection for the path or equipment selection for a phase. Then you would need a flexible method in the equipment routine to match up with the phase properly. I am in the process of trying to find a good method to accomplish this without the code being ridiculous to follow. I like the thought of being able to use their framework, I just want it to be an advancement not a step back. To me, most of the examples are a step back.

Darren

If you're committed to using RSBatch (or Bizware Batch or whatever they're calling it now), then the phase manager is most likely welcome relief.

In spite of their saying you can use it for applications other than interfacing with RSBatch, I think you would end up expending a lot of effort for little gain and feel like you had only succeeded in forcing a square peg into a round hole.

My feeling is that phase manager was added to make the system comply with a standard called S-88 (I think that is the number). Apparently S88 is large in the pharmaceutical industry and in a lot of plants it is a requirement.
I have personally found that there are easier ways to program than using the phase manager.
Regards Alan

Back
Top Bottom