can this cable work for SLC 5/04?

JHarris

Lifetime Supporting Member
I've done quite a bit of searching and learned quite a bit, but still not found a definite answer.

I have a DH+/DH485 1784-PCMK pcmcia card and the cable with the RJ45 style connector (can get the part # tomorrow at work if needed). The PLC is a SLC 5/04 with the channel 0 serial port set to user mode for ASCII communication to rx/tx to a device.

Can I make a homebrew cable to connect (convert the RJ45) to the 3-pin DH port on the SLC 5/04? This is just temp to test/debug the ASCII device on the bench. I know there's a correct cable for this (1784-PCM6?) but time and money are tight. I've yet to find a pin out for the cable. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Justin

Thanks Mickey.. Looking at that my cable (1784-PCM4) is intended for DH485 while the SLC 5/04 supports DH+. Not sure of the differences between DH+ and DH485. I'll have to check it out. Anyone else feel free to throw 2 cents in.

Thanks,

J

If you read the document that Mickey provided it does look like you can get to the DH+ signals via the RJ-45 connector. You'll have to spend a decent amount of time doing it and buying the mini-din connector and RJ-45 receptacle; if there is any value put on your time it will probably exceed the cost of the cable IMHO.

The cable you need is a 1784-PCM5; it lists for $293.00. If you buy one instead of trying to make your own, make sure you specifiy which PCMK you have (Series A or Series B); the cables between the series are not interchangeable.