SLC500 or Compactlogix Conversion to PLC5

Canmaker

As an OEM we are always changing our control systems to match our customer's spec. (Don't tell everyone but we even change the colour of wires and of the wire numbers too!)
We are soon to supply some machines with PLC5 though our processor of choice is SLC500 or CompactLogix. Has anyone got any good slick methods of doing the software conversion to PLC5 bearing in mind that we are having to re-address all the I/O at the same time?

Thanks Ken, yes I know that works, you have to be careful with a few instructions though, for example OSR in an SLC500 is not the same as OSR in a PLC5 (the corresponding instruction there is ONS for some reason)... that is the one I have found so far....
The biggest issue we have is with the I/O addressing; the SLC program uses a lot of field mounted FlexI/O connected on DeviceNet, but the customer for the PLC5 system wants it all to be rack mounted I/O in the panel so the I/O addressing is totally different. The SLC program has symbol names for everything so if there was a way of stripping the I/O address away from the Symbol name and copying and pasting the rungs from SLC to PLC that would be great. However if you remove the I/O address from the Symbol table the ladder program reverts to the I/O address rather than the Symbol.

I suggest exporting the Database and reallocating all the new PLC5 addresses to the existing symbol names withing Excel.

The re-import the file into RSLogix5. You may need to do a trial export from both packages and carefully compare the output of both in order to ensure that the file you finally create is in the right format for RSLogix5.

If I understand you correctly Phillip I would copy and paste the rungs from SLC to PLC and then export the PLC5 database, edit it and reimport with the correct I/O addresses. Unless I am missing something the problem with this approach is that when I copy and paste the SLC rungs into PLC5, those addresses which happen also to be valid in the PLC5 (like I:2/2) retain their symbolic names on the rung and that is fine, however, if I have an SLC address which is not valid in PLC5, like I:2/9, that loses its associatian with a symbol when I copy the rung into PLC.

Ok umm how about doing a "Save As" with a file type "*.slc. This creates a text file of your whole program that you can now do a "search and replace" on, ie change the SLC addresses to valid PLC ones.

Once you have got the susbstitutions made, then see if you can save it as a *.PC5 file, which is also a text file that RSLogix5 can open.

I suggest you experiment converting these "Library" file types, on some simple trial program.