Msoe

Greg Dake

Well, I'm taking the plunge.....Like many others on here I have decided to go back and persue my four year degree. I have chosen an engineering school here in Milwaukee......Curious if there is any alumni from Milwaukee School of Engineering and can provide some feedback?

I spent some time with the head of the electrical engineering department at MSOE and I was pleased with what I saw. There is a lot of focus on PID in the ciriculum. They get a lot pumped into the EE program from Allen-Bradley......I currently work as a non-degreed control engineer...I'm quite lucky, my employer is not requiring me to do this AND they are supporting it both in scheduling flexibility and other ways.....This is a part time endeavor, two classes per quater, but at least it will be progress. I still need to maintain my 47.5 hour work week.

I know others are doing this as well on this site, I have read their trials and tribulations in doing this....I am very excited. Curious to hear feedback from either MSOE alumni or someone who has experience with MSOE of some sort.

TIA,

Greg

Well, MSOE can't compete with MU. (Guess where I graduated!)

Actually, based on my experience over the years with graduates of MSOE, MU,UWM, UW Madison and UW Platteville, MSOE seems to turn out excellent graduates. They don't have quite as much theorteical training as MU, but they have more practical and hands-on training. Both schools are head and shoulders above any of the UW campuses. In my experience UWM is the worst - I told my kids they could pick any college in the US BUT UWM.

Greg,
I am an MSOE Alumnus. I have a BSEE from MSOE. It is an outstanding school and the EE program, as well as all of their programs, is excellent. It is definitely not easy though. MSOE consistently ranks in the top 10 for engineering schools nationwide. If you receive your degree from MSOE, you will allow yourself many opportunities in many other areas as well.
Good luck to you. You will see that MSOE is a quality choice.

My experience with MSOE is in hiring. I would say that MU has excellent graduates and agree with Tom Jenkins. MSOE has good graduates. MSOE is more hands on. The other piece of getting a BS is brand name recognition. MSOE may not be well known outside of Milwaukee as say MU is. It does matter in landing a job or just getting in for an interview. Also you do want to make sure you keep a good GPA at 3.5 plus. This matters in hiring and getting in.

With this discussion of MU vs MSOE, I should forward this link to my bosses since one graduated from Marquette and one from MSOE.

They are both great schools, although IMHO, Kettering has the best overall program out there. (Just nobody has ever heard of it)

Thanks for the feedback so far. Tom, I agree with your opinion of UWM......that probably explains the tuition difference between MSOE and UWM, MSOE is just over $400/credit and UWM I think is around $300/credit. My wife completed her degree at UWM, I don't know that I liked what I saw of her education.

Sheldn, I don't plan to leave my current employer, I hold a good position in engineering where I currently work. I'm really doing this backward, I'm doing my senior design project everyday at work, but now I'm going back to make it more solid by having a better foundation on the theory.

Greg

Having just recently graduated from MU myself I can add a quick bit about the few people that I knew from MSOE. They seemed to enjoy the program, and it did seem as though it was more hands-on in nature as others have mentioned. One of my MU buddies took some classes at MSOE over the summer as well and didnt have any complaints.

Back
Top Bottom