Future of Automation

manikandan

Hi ALL!

After completing my M.Tech (mechatronics),[Undergraduate degree is B.E., (Electrical and Electronics Engineering)] I joined here -in Transformer manufacturing company as a post graduate engineering trainee (PGET) in Development department.

Job Profile: to develop the machines and automation. not only this, but any development activities like TPM implementation, process modification, factory layout modification, etc.

In my graduation I learned the theoretical things not that much practical. but here, in this organization expectation is more on me. they are giving 100% freedom. but I'm struggling a lot. I want to give some benefit to this organisation and also to me. for that, What are the things that I have to start with? because it is almost 8 months. but my learning rate is very low. where I have to concentrate more? how to get practical knowledge?

as you know,In India most of the people are in Software and getting handful salary. seeing my classmates those who are in software I feel bad about my stage. what to do? how is the future for this field?

please help me in this regard. I'm very much confused.

If possible send me your mail Id.

Thanks and Regards
Manikandan
[email protected]

Where I work we have some production lines dating from the 60's that are all manual and require about 30 or so people to run (per shift). The new equivelant plant requires 3 people to run.
There is also a lot more we can do all over the place.
Automation, in my opinion, has no where near reached its diminishing return level.

For India, you still have a lot of cheap labour. But as your country becomes more prosperous, labour cost will go up, and you will need to extensively automate as well.

Other areas of automation can include what I am doing for project management and automating our automation process.

Good luck,

Doug