PV1200e

LStewart

I have some Panelview 1200e (2711-TC1) in our plant that need to have the programs backed up from them. I don't know anything about these and only know of one person who has worked with them and its been years for him. I contacted Rockwell Tech support and asked about the software and a manual, the only response I received was that you can use a DOS based software,(2711-ND1) or one for windows 3.1 (2711-ND1W), I went to their web site and could not find a download or even a place to where we could buy it, apparently this is a "retired" part. Then I went to digging around and found some software that is 2711-ND3, 8 floppies worth, but before I loaded it up on my computer I went again to their website to see if this would talk to a PV1200e, I never found any information on what this software will communicate with. Does anyone know and/or have the software that I need to talk to this model of panelview?

Help!?
Lori:wish:

2711-nd3 is Panelbuilder32 and does not support the "e" line of Panelviews.

You need part number 2711e-nd1 Panelbuilder 1400e, which I just loaded and checked and it supports the 1200e.

Careful here, there's a discrepancy.

Technical Support's answer was based on your part number, because 2711-TC1 is a PanelView 1200, aka "Classic" PanelView. The DOS-based software is your best bet.

You mentioned by name, however, "1200e". The "e" desgination was used mostly on PanelView 1000e and 1400e terminals, but a very few 1200 Classic terminals got an upgrade logic board installed, making them "1200e" terminals.

You've got to figure out exactly which one you have, because there's a functionality difference between them.

Your best bet is to have a contractor (or Rockwell Field Service) come out and do this backup for you. They'd likely do the backup inexpensively if you'd give them an opportunity to quote a conversion to PanelView Plus. That's my standard deal with PV1200 owners.

Hey Ken,
How do I tell the difference? All of our documentation on these terminals are MIA. Or are you saying I will need a field rep to find that out also?

Well, you called it an "e". Is there a sticker or nameplate somewhere on the terminal that has that "1200e" designation ?

I really think it's unlikely that it is the mythical "1200e". I have never seen one of those in the wild, just on a technical support database.

There is a Mode keyswitch on the back of the terminal that will put it into a Configuration mode that should allow you to see the firmware and model number.

1200 Classics have character based graphic screens, and "e" terminals look a lot like Windows 3.1, with lots of beveled edges and simple shading.

I have a PC loaded with PanelBuilder 1400e that I use for conversions. PanelBuilder 1400e can upload from 1200 Classics, but it immediately converts the configuration and I don't know if it could re-download it.

I guess when I typed in the search for 2711-TC1 on the rockwell website it came up with an 1200e and I just "assumed" they were one and the same. I was completely in the dark on these and am learning more each day. We only have one person still in house that has ever dealt with these and his memory isn't what it used to be!(his words!) Plus it has been about 8 years since anyone has made any changes to it. Recently I was told it would be my job to get this area backed up, since the guy who was doing it was promoted, now I find out he never backed these up in all these years. I am worried because they are old and I can see a lot of scratches on the screen and I can just see one of them going down and us not being able to recover. I hope if I turn the keyswitch to change modes, it will go back! You never know with this old stuff.

Back
Top Bottom