Industrial Ethernet Switch?

sthays10

Just looking for some quick advice on Industrial Ethernet Switches. I need it to be DIN rail mountable and 24VDC. It will be used to connect Ethernet Module for ControlLogix with PanelView Plus, also providing an extra port for Laptop hookup. I only need the 3 ports.

If you all have experience using some of these, let me know which brand/model is good to go with. This won't be connected to any existing network.

Thanks

Steve

Last edited:
mebrantner said:
We use Hirschmann RS2-5TX on all our CLX and PV+ setups. Kind of a pain with the ports being on the bottom. Never have had any problems though.

Have you considered the Hirschmann Spider 5TX?? The ports are on the front.

I'll second Hydro Power Guy on the NTRON switch.

Its also AB endorsed, it has smart firmware optimized for multicasting AB PLCs, its got an all metal case, and it costs less than the Hirschmann.

I have six NTRON switches and so far I have not had anything to complain about.

Since you are not connecting this to any existing network and have only two full time connected devices and one part time device, you do not need a managed switch.

This unit http://www.n-tron.com/pdf/304TX.pdf costs $179
($279 with N-View Firmware for traffic monitoring via OPC server).

Last edited:
I like both the spider and the Ntron. Glad to see that both have supporters. I am leaning toward the Ntron, actually. Do you order from the company or do they have distributors?

I also have a question on 24VDC power supplies: I'm currently looking at the Rhino PSM series (360W), but I'd like opinions on power supplies. I'd like it to be DIN rail mountable. Any advice?

Thanks for the input so far.

Steve

I'll third the Sola power supplies.

BUT Rockwell happens to own Sola - and so AB re-labeled SOLA power supplies are available. And depending on you distributor, they might actually be cheaper (!gasp!) than the SOLA labeled power supplies. At least they are cheaper when ordered through our AB distributor rather than Newark Electronics.

Because NTRON is an encompass partner they should be available through your AB distributor. If not then give them a call, the NTRON staff is friendly and helpful.

Same with Hirschmann - as an Encompass partner your AB distributor should be able to get them for you.