RFI Filters

sapoleon

Hi,

Not much time ago, I had an experience with a machine that we made, and we had terrible problems because of noise. First of all, discover that the problems were because of the noise, was not immediate, but it took some burned IR thermometers.

At the end we saw with the scope that it was for noise, and testing all the circuits until we get the source, that was a couple of XtraDrives.

The solution in itself easy and not expensive, we put an RFI filter in the input of the XtraDrives, and that was all.

Now, I am working in the dessign of another machine, and I don't want to incur whit the same problem. I want the magic of the RFI filters from the start.

So, the questions are: How should I manage it? 1 RFI Filter for each inverter o group of 2-3 depending on the power, or one 3phase big (100A) filter for all the line? Can someone recomend some reading material? Can someone recomend a brand or manufacturer?

Thanks again

My first impulse would be to add filtering on the input of each drive. This is usually a readily available option from most drive manufacturers and not horribly expensive.

Another option is to go to 12- or 18-pulse (so called "clean power") drives that limit noise in the incoming power line. More expensive (as much as twice the cost in smaller sizes) but almost goof proof.

Your drive supplier should be able to provide you with a harmonic analysis of the power distribution system and give you specific reccommendations.