Siemens

What's a good price?
I'd try your local Siemens dealer and exercise your negotiating skills. If that's your only purchase I'd guess you won't get much discount. If you were a big regular customer, how would you feel if someone who bought one item got the same discounts as you? We all want something. You want the software. Now find out what you've got that the dealer wants: extra business, regular business, other product purchases. What have you got to offer? Somewhere in the middle you'll find the balance.

And, no. STEP5 software is for S5 PLCs and has been for the past 25 years or so. When S7 came out so did STEP7. To work with both hardwares you needs both softwares. Sorry.

Ken

Try "S7 for Windows" from IBh. It is much cheaper than Siemens STEP7.
There should also be a "S5/S7 for Windows" with programming for both platforms in the same package.

Word is that the VIPA PLCs, which are BTW low-cost versions of the real Siemens S7s, are not 100% compatible with the Siemens S7 PLCs. I wonder if the same is true for their software. If you want to be served cheaply, don't be suprised you have to give in on quality and/or features.

If you want a cheap, but good solution and you only have to program S7-300s, why not turn to Step 7 Lite?

I also have heard (I don't want to spend money if I'm not sure it's well spent, so I didn't buy just to find out if it's true) that S5/S7 for Windows is STL only for both PLC types. Maybe IBH Softec has improved their software since then. I know the S5 for Windows is indeed a lot cheaper than Step 5, but it gives the same (or even better) quality and it's a lot more user friendly.

Kind regards,

jvdcande said:
Word is that the VIPA PLCs, which are BTW low-cost versions of the real Siemens S7s, are not 100% compatible with the Siemens S7 PLCs. I wonder if the same is true for their software. If you want to be served cheaply, don't be suprised you have to give in on quality and/or features.

If you want a cheap, but good solution and you only have to program S7-300s, why not turn to Step 7 Lite?

Hello Mr. Vandecandelaere

With which VIPA-CPU did you make own experiences?

Kind regards

Longbow said:
With which VIPA-CPU did you make own experiences?
I never stated I had any first-hand experience. I have not enough money to spend it on something I can't use for the full 100%. People I trust who had first-hand experience warned me about this issue, so I keep working with real S7 PLCs. Besides that, my customers want training on Siemens S7 PLCs, not VIPA ones.

Kind regards,

jvdcande said:
Word is that the VIPA PLCs, which are BTW low-cost versions of the real Siemens S7s, are not 100% compatible with the Siemens S7 PLCs.

BTW Also SIEMENS S7 319-3PN/DP , S7 318-2 and S7 317-2PN/DP are not 100% compatible to each other.
You can check this in the 319 Errata sheet and the SIEMENS FAQ!
There is a "Migration Tool" from SIEMENS to move from 318 to 319!!!

Kind regards

About the VIPA PLCs:
What I have heard is that VIPA is compatible with a similar S7-315 except for specialty modules like FMs and CPs.

About the incompatibility of the new S7-317 and 319:
Siemens only mention this because the 318 is really a S7-400 CPU in an S7-300 package.
As the 317 and 319 are supposed to be replacement types for the 318, there are a number of issues that really origin from the differences between the S7-300 platform and the S7-400 platform.
There are no new problems (as far as I know) with the 317 and 319.

About the original topic:
I think I should mention that STEP7 LITE is now available for free download. It doesnt come any cheaper than that.
Of course, it is only relevant if the application isnt greater than S7-300 without networking.

jvdcande said:
I also have heard (I don't want to spend money if I'm not sure it's well spent, so I didn't buy just to find out if it's true) that S5/S7 for Windows is STL only for both PLC types. Maybe IBH Softec has improved their software since then. I know the S5 for Windows is indeed a lot cheaper than Step 5, but it gives the same (or even better) quality and it's a lot more user friendly.

Kind regards,

Jean,

Give there demo version a try http://www.ibhsoftec-sps.de
I like it better the step 5, I would still use Siemens version for S7

Hello all,

Is good to see some discussion involving VIPA PLCs.
In fact, I have very good experiences with VIPA PLCs and there are a lot of advantages, not only the price:
  • If you theach Step 7, you can use a single Speed7 CPU from VIPA and use MPI, Profibus and Ethernet with a single CPU, much cheaper and compact than Siemens
  • If you build or buy machines with S7-300 series and you need at least the 315-2DP, with one VIPA Speed 7 CPU you will need (probably) only one reference in stock for all your needs
  • If you use a SCADA like WinCC comunicating trough Profibus-DP, you will get a much faster response from one VIPA Speed 7 CPU than with one Siemens S7-318
  • And there are a lot more...
Compatibility? What is that?

Do you know that a VIPA Speed 7 CPU with integrated 32bit Speed bus (something Siemens doesn't have in S7-300 series) can be configurated with Step 7 from Siemens as an S7-318? This is really beyond compatibility.

Do you know that with VIPA Speed 7 CPU you can expand the memory without replacing the CPU? It's clear that this is much better then beeing 100% compatible

Do you know that with any VIPA CPU (200V, 300V and 300S) you can attach 32 modules to the CPU or network interface?

About this I can leave you with something to think of...

If you always do ....
... what you always done ...
... you will always get ...
... what you always got!

JesperMP said:
About the VIPA PLCs:
What I have heard is that VIPA is compatible with a similar S7-315 except for specialty modules like FMs and CPs.

I also heard the same comments. Also was said that a programmer from Siemens came to resolve a problem. when he saw a Vipa-module, he turned his back and left..

It can happen... but what will you think about Siemens people? Are they professional or are they just kids turnig back to their own problems?

If you buy a car, changed the radio to a bether one and take the car to service because the motor has a strange noise, and they refused to solve the problem because you changed the radio what yill you think?...

European laws protect the customer from this. Each supplier must be responsible for their own products but... Siemens is Siemens...